FIND US ON FACEBOOK     Friends of the ABC     CLUB CHAT ROOM AND LOUNGE     VIEW ACTIVE TOPICS     ABC CLUB STICKERS 

It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:50 pm
Portal » Board index » Tackle Box! » FISH TALES - The Place To Talk About Your Fishing Adventures, Bluegills to Blackfin Tuna!

Author
Search for:

Cash on hand:
3,315.00 Points

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:40 pm 
Well guy yesterday was a really pertty day. So I say to my self, self you haven't been pickerel fishing hardly at all this winter, lets go :239_fishing: . So I hook up the old utility trailer since my old butt is getting to old to put the kayak on top the truck. Then I spend a half hour getting my kayak out of the what I call garage but is more like a junk shop. But I get it out and tie it down. Get my tackle in the truck and off I go sSig_cool2 . Well I get about 5 miles from the house and notice how far back the cars are from me sHa_clap2 . Which here isn't normal. But what the hey I still see the stren of my kayak on the trailer, so I know it didn't blow off. But I notice its sliding all over the place sSc_eek . So I pull in to a parking lot of a little gas and go. Then watch 5 or 6 cars go by and give me a dirty look :1143_neener_neener_neener: . Seams they thought my kayak was going to blow off. Not with my knot it won't :605_thumbs_up: . But I did tie it on wrong and it was sliding around. So I get it tied on right and off I go again. I get to the ramp of a pond I know has some good size pickerel in it. So the kayak gets put in the water and all my gear and one spinning rod. So I get out my trusty fly rod and put all 5 pieces together and reach for the reel. As I take it out of its case, I know right away. I GRABED THE WRONGE REEL :1898_: . You see I like a 9wt. Rod to throw the 6 to 8 inch flies I throw for pickerel. And that's what I brought. But I grabbed the 8wt reel. So what the hey. I fish it any way. I'll just have to use smaller flies. So I get it rigged and in the kayak and off I go. I start fishing right away. And I start catching right a way. So I say self, you had a good idea here. So as I'm working alone this shore line for a while I hook a really big fish. Man get the net. But one look at her and I know she ain't going to fit in my net. But I land her anyway and she was the biggest pickerel I ever caught. She was 7 pounds sFun_crazydance . Man my day could have end right their and I would have been one happy old sob. But I keep fishing and wouldn't you know it. Mother nature was just waiting for my to get up the lake. And the wind we weren't suppose to get comes right up the lake. So I curse the old bitty and said to her, well I fooled you, you old bitty :1143_neener_neener_neener: . I'll just go up the feeder creek and fish. You old blow hard won't hurt my up their. And you know it didn't. Their are a couple of backwaters off the creek up their that hold some good fish and my old butt caught another big mamma sHa-shakeshout . She was 6 pounds. Man this is turning out to be a great day. And I fooled mother nature to. Well I fish up their for a good while and I start to tire out and say, self lets head back down the lake and head home. Well as you mite know the old witch was still sending wind up the lake :2261_high: . So I look at the two big points and figure I can duck in behind them and work my way back. And wouldn't you know it. The first point I duck in behind. I get 5 more fish and one was another big one, 5 ¾ pounds. Three big fish in the same day sFun_crazydance . Well I have to tell you they were the biggest pickerel I caught since I've live in DE. So I now head across the lake to duck in behind the last point. So I fishing the bank out to that point and I land some more pickerel. So as I'm nearing the point I put my rods away because I had landed 53 pickerel and 2 bass and was one happy old fart sHa-shakeshout . That was till I rounded the point and the old bitty got even. The wind was coming on strong. So I just start paddling my old butt off and finally get back to the ramp. I get the truck back it down the ramp and load my kayak and pull back up the ramp and put all my equipment away. Then I sit of the trailer and lay back. I was one tired old dog and sore to boot sSa_cry4 . Well as I'm laying there I hear a car pull into the lot. One of our finest a state trooper. His door opens and closes and over to me he comes. Then says are you OK, I thought the way you were laying there you maybe dead. And with out opening my eyes I said, is this hell, and he said no, then I'm not dead. :1121_wink: :mrgreen:

Profile Personal album  

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
3,992,284.60 Points

Bank:
218,225,712.20 Points

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:13 pm 
Nice work! And you are one hell of a good storyteller! :1992_beer_cheer:

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
10,769.25 Points

Bank:
2,596.45 Points

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:14 am 
Man that was an excellent story! i almost felt like i needed to be in front of the fire pit cross legged, listening to it.Thanks for sharing!

1986 19'6 aquasport-___/\___ 1972 14ft Dargel Scooter-___/\___ 1982 1800 Hydrasports-

Profile Personal album  

Classics Expert

Cash on hand:
10,500.50 Points

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:12 pm 
Oh man Walt what a great day!! And GREAT story too!! Thanks for sharing! sFun_crazydance

Profile Personal album  

Cash on hand:
3,315.00 Points

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:23 pm 
Man I needed that break. I've been working on an addition to my building for my wood shop. I got the forms in and poured the piers. And you know this getting old is for the birds sSc_eek I first started with 80 pound bags of quickcret. But I found out that 70 years old isn't the same as 80 pounds sSa_cry4 . So I switched to 60 pound bags. Thinking 60 is less then 70. But you know 60 is still to much for 70 sCo_hmmthink . But I got it done. So fishing started out to be just the break I needed. Till that wind came up. :1898_: So today I started back on the building. :753_hammer_hitting_head: When I start putting up those 4x6's you won't want to be in ear shot. :2261_high: I still remember the words I used back in my Army days. You know it's funny how at 70 you forget something's you don't want and remember things you should forget. sAng_scream

Profile Personal album  

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
3,725.55 Points

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:02 am 
What a day Walt!!! You made the Troopers day.. Hope you had the sense NOT to tell him you got 53 fish after scarin him while he was WORKIN!! :1121_wink: :1121_wink:

Bag mix concrete is great but it sucks... I did a counter weight this winter for the tractor, 10 80# bags that got hand mixed one at a time. The damn weather didn't cooperate so they got moved twice before it was all done. Now I know why guys spend $400 and just buy the damn thing...

My back aches for you man!!!! :1992_beer_cheer: :1992_beer_cheer:

88 222 Osprey
00 Yamaha OX66 150

Profile Personal album  

Cash on hand:
3,315.00 Points

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:16 pm 
I'll tell you guys something sAng_soapbox . I had to check and make sure my Hart was still beating, to see if I was still here. Fishing days like that in Feb. just Don't happen. So I had to make sure the ticker was still ticking. And it was. sHa-shakeshout
But I will say this weather is helping. Pickerel here are getting ready to spown. The Three big ones I got where full of eggs. Now that I think about it, I'm jealous. My days of swimming up stream are over. sSa_cry4 :1121_wink:

Profile Personal album  

Jump to: