FIND US ON FACEBOOK     Friends of the ABC     CLUB CHAT ROOM AND LOUNGE     VIEW ACTIVE TOPICS     ABC CLUB STICKERS 

It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:54 am
Portal » Board index » On The Road

Author
Search for:

Cash on hand:
365.05 Points

Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:31 pm 
Hi guys. I have a trailer with strictly electric brakes (not a boat trailer). It's a brand new trailer and the brakes seem to be fine on the trailer end. If I pull the emergency release cable they lock up. If I use a 12v source and touch the trailer cable in the 2 correct spots the brakes lock up.

Here's where I am lost. I have a 02 F-250 with the factory tow harness. Factory brake controller harness and a new Prodigy controller (I bought this as I believed the Reese one I had was the issue). When the trailer is plugged to the truck the brakes do not function. When it's hooked to the truck and I pull the safety cable they will not lock. With the safety pulled and then I unplug the 7-pin connector the brakes will lock. If I plug the 7-pin back up the brakes stayed locked.

On the truck at the plug when the box is turned all the way up and brake pedal pushed I get a 11.5v reading using the trailer ground pin and trailer brake pin. Voltage drops as it should when I lower the setting on the controller.

I've checked and made sure everything is grounded well. I made a jumper wire from the truck plug ground to ground to the pigtail and used another jumper in the trailer brake slot from the trailer. Now here's where I'm stumped and maybe it's something common. With the control box turned all the way up and the brake pedal pressed, the trailer brake terminal and both left and right brake light terminals have 11.7volts with the multimeter. If I touch the brake jumper wire to the trailer brake terminal on the truck nothing happens. If I touch it to either of the brake light terminals the brakes engage. All 3 have + voltage. What am I missing?

Profile Personal album  

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
2,633,176.45 Points

Bank:
9,791,707.00 Points

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:00 am 
Something doesn't sound like it's wired right.

1987 170 Osprey Striper

"We do NOT want socialized medicine" - Ronald Reagan

Profile Personal album  

Site Admin

Cash on hand:
2,013,619.90 Points

Bank:
48,320,404.30 Points

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:38 pm 
Check your truck for the right breakers and fuses, back then they came in a bag when you bought the truck new and you had to install them yourself.

Profile Personal album WWW  

Cash on hand:
365.05 Points

Post Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:22 pm 
Found the problem. The blue wire in the factory harness is grounding out somewhere between both ends. According to the FSM it doesn't have any splices in it just a plug at the firewall harness. I cut the blue wire coming out of the control box and connected a long jumper wire to it then ran the jumper wire straight to the trailer and sure enough the brakes work fine. So for a quick fix I ran the jumper along the frame to the back of the receiver plug and all is normal now.

Profile Personal album  

Jump to: