FIND US ON FACEBOOK     Friends of the ABC     CLUB CHAT ROOM AND LOUNGE     VIEW ACTIVE TOPICS     ABC CLUB STICKERS 

It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:02 am
Portal » Board index » Off the Boat!

Author
Search for:

Cash on hand:
3,315.00 Points

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:20 pm 
Well guys, here are a few pictures of the plane finished. At least as far as I'm going with it. I epoxied it the way Dav said, it worked well. You can still see the cracks but their nice and tight now. I cleaned out the cuts before gluing once I did that the cracks looked bigger. I cleaned off the old finish with denatured alcohol and then use danish oil to finish it. She will hold up longer then my old butt will be around.

Saw this after I applied the finish, kind of a cool logo. It was covered up by the old finish.

Profile Personal album  

Cash on hand:
796.05 Points

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:33 pm 
"that will never work" :mrgreen:

Cash on hand:
3,315.00 Points

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:23 pm 
bah ha ha dam Chris now it looks like I pissed my self. sSc_eek I had a mouth full of coffee when I read that. sHa_dielaughing

Profile Personal album  

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
10,769.25 Points

Bank:
2,596.45 Points

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:38 pm 
thats good stuff right there. many people would have just tossed them

1986 19'6 aquasport-___/\___ 1972 14ft Dargel Scooter-___/\___ 1982 1800 Hydrasports-

Profile Personal album  

Cash on hand:
3,315.00 Points

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:49 pm 
Cory man I love old tools as much as old boats. I guess I like living in the past. Well maybe patrs of the past. But back to old plane, man I find a lot of them and would go broke if I bought them all. I would also run out of room very quicklly. But I'll tell you it a shame how bad some have treated them. I find them in all condictions. I'm also glad I don' t collect the molding planes. I find more of them then any ofter.

Profile Personal album  

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
3,725.55 Points

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:36 pm 
Not sure how I missed this...

Walt that is a piece of art!!! :bravo:

I am glad the patch worked well, been thinking about it while shaping some cedar for a banister railing for back steps and wondered how you made out....

Damn she looks pretty and looks like she shaves well too! sHa-shakeshout

Odd how old stuff isn't worth saving ain't it?!?!?

This lil Stanley is my go to shaping tool. It was Laura's Granddad's and there are no numbers on it... I can tell you that the old girl has been sharpened so many times that I had to lengthen out the guide hole for the angle adjust on the iron. Still a bunch of good steel in the iron so when I couldn't adjust it anymore it was time to adapt and over come 'cause new irons won't fit the damn depth adjuster and it just works too well..

Or maybe I just outta through that one out too... :605_thumbs_up: :605_thumbs_up:

88 222 Osprey
00 Yamaha OX66 150

Profile Personal album  

Cash on hand:
3,315.00 Points

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:52 pm 
Yea people would throw away great old tools. that plane you have their Dav is a really good old stanley #18 if it is 6"" long and 1 3/4 wide or #18 1/4 6" long and 1 5/8 wide. Their was also a number of other ones in the #18 family. :605_thumbs_up: . It has the adjustable mouth, which when ajusted to be very close to the iron, after it is ajusted. Will give you a very fine shaving. That is a real keeper. You can also tell you love old tools. You keep that one looking new. :605_thumbs_up: :mrgreen:

Profile Personal album  

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
3,725.55 Points

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:51 pm 
Looking new? Well thank you sir and don't look to close :1121_wink: sHa_dielaughing

I was lucky, the Old Man had a nice shop and passed along things as he replaced them. The majority of my edge tools are way older then me, either because they were Dad's or yard sale/flea market finds before yuppies and these new hipster tourists drove prices way up.. I couldn't afford new Lie Neilson or Buck Brothers stuff, the only way I got good steel was if the person selling didn't know what they had and it needed a couple of days on the stone to get it useable.

sAng_soapbox Nothing kills me more now to see something like an old socket firmers chisel (big ass chisel for the Brethren that aren't wood guys) with lots do steel left at an "antique " place with a label of "old tool" and a $75 price tag on it. The steel would need a days worth of TLC to get the pits out without killing the temper before you could think of putting an edge on.. sAng_scream At that money, it will sit there until it dies or gets ruined by being put up on the wall of some swank joint never to be used again..... Yes, I am a dink....

I passed on a 1" mortise corner chisel that was 10" deep (no kidding) before Christmas and I regret it now.. It looked like that poor thing had been layin on a wet bench for years, it was bad :_puke2: .... But there was enough to save to make it useful, they just wouldn't come off of tourist money.....

Laura's response has become, "stop your bitching, buy it, or put it back... They don't care what it is or what it was !!!"

If Scotty had been with me, I'm sure we'd have gotten a deal... :1143_neener_neener_neener: :1121_wink: :605_thumbs_up:

88 222 Osprey
00 Yamaha OX66 150

Profile Personal album  

Cash on hand:
3,315.00 Points

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:43 pm 
All man I would love to get a Lie Neilson #1 and the low angle jack. But the #1 is $230 and the low angle jack is $269 sSc_eek at the wood shop I deal at. And I don't even think of the original Stanley #1. You would have to pay at least a $1000 for one in OK shape. The last one I saw in new condition, sold at auction for $5000 sSc_eek . dam collectors are driving up the prices and they don't even use them. I lucked into a Stanley #5 ¼ never used still in the box, for $60. that plane would sell for $300 to a collector. But I am still looking for a Stanley low angle jack. They can be found for $25. but the one I want now is a #80 cabinet scraper. I would also go for and #81. their both great scrapers. They look like a spoke shave but the iron is at a high angle. When you use one. Man you don't even have to sand the wood. It comes out as smooth as silk. My old hands can't keep using the card scrapers. Their hard on even young hands and man can they get hot while using them. The difference between the #80 and the #81, is the #80 is all one piece metal. The #81 is ornate metal but has a wood sole screwed on the flat metal sole. They did that because some of the old timers didn't want metal rubbing on their wood. They want wood on wood. So if you don't have one and find one up your way. You would be wise to pick it up. But don't pay more then$25 for it as long as its in good shape and has all its part. It would be less for one that need a lot of work. Also you want to read some good stuff. Call up this site and book mark it. It will tell you all you need to know about Stanley planes and its fun reading. The guy has a good sense of humor. Www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0a.html :605_thumbs_up:

Profile Personal album  

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
3,725.55 Points

Post Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:51 pm 
Walt I I found an 81 that still has a dark sole, it could be either Rosewood or cocobolo. It is for less than 20 bucks, do you want it? It is just the base, no iron... I guess it was to much to hope that the edge would make it.....
Hi

88 222 Osprey
00 Yamaha OX66 150

Profile Personal album  

Cash on hand:
3,315.00 Points

Post Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:49 pm 
David if you don't want it to use , I would love to get it . I can make an iron for it, I have to make an iron for another one, so making two isn't a problem. Just let me know the cost and the shipping cost. I'll send you a check right away. Thanks for thinking of me. When your ready I'll PM my address. PM me yours so I can send the check. :605_thumbs_up:

Profile Personal album  

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
3,725.55 Points

Post Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:11 pm 
Walt I am back on hitch tomorrow, Laura is heading to town Monday and if it is still there she will grab it!

88 222 Osprey
00 Yamaha OX66 150

Profile Personal album  

Cash on hand:
3,315.00 Points

Post Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:07 pm 
Thanks Dav much appreciated.

Profile Personal album  

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
3,725.55 Points

Post Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:39 pm 
Walt we win sHa-shakeshout !!!

Laura scored at the Antique Mall.. The sole turns out to be rosewood, I am sorry the picture is so bad, it is really close to being FLAT :605_thumbs_up: and there is lots left for you to true it up.
No clue why it looks so black in the picture :504_shrugging: it is way more red then that, light in the shop did it no favors I guess..

PM your address man and we'll try and get it on the road tomorrow!

88 222 Osprey
00 Yamaha OX66 150

Profile Personal album  

Cash on hand:
3,315.00 Points

Post Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:37 am 
Great Dav thanks , that will complete my collection of scrapers. :605_thumbs_up: PM sent. As to being black a lot of old timers use to cover their tools with that black, to keep them from rusting. I never have learned what that black is. I just picked up a sargent #418 and it is covered with that same black I'll restore it and post a picture of what it should look like. Their really nice ornate scapers. :605_thumbs_up:

Profile Personal album  

Jump to: