FIND US ON FACEBOOK     Friends of the ABC     CLUB CHAT ROOM AND LOUNGE     VIEW ACTIVE TOPICS     ABC CLUB STICKERS 

It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:23 am
Portal » Board index » Aquasport Resources

Author
Search for:
2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
3,055.30 Points

Post Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:10 am 
All,

I found the OEM replacement gas springs for my Osprey at the below website that fit the 13mm ball. I opted for the most economical option but they have stainless if your budget permits... I figure a good coating of CorrosionX a few times a year should keep the salt monsters away.. Anyway - hope it helps for any of you in the market.

SL-29 with 30lbs lift- Replacement for what I have now.

http://www.backtoboating.com/attwood-bo ... s-springs/

B

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
3,055.30 Points

Post Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:58 pm 
Just finished the install. The gas spring above were a perfect match with each rated at 30lbs. The 13mm ball studs on the bottom were so rusted I had to cut them off and procure new ones. Took a couple extra days to get those but she was completed last night. Works great and no more rust problem under there... At least for a while.

B

Cash on hand:
60.00 Points

Post Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:23 am 
Hi Bergertime,

I was wondering if you have any pictures of these springs installed? I ask because I recently bought a 1995 AS 245 and these springs and the mounting hardware are completely missing from my boat. I want to install them just like the factory did. Also with the 30 pound lift does the seat stay up on its own or do you have to hold it up?

Thanks!

Erro

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
3,992,279.60 Points

Bank:
218,225,712.20 Points

Post Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:08 pm 
Here is a pic of mine,yes, the seat stays up by it self,please note that these are mistakenly installed upside down.
I will be replacing these,they were original.

Put them with the shock on top

GAS SPRING & STRUT MOUNTING INSTRUCTIONS
All gas springs contain a small amount of oil to lubricate the main seal and rod. This oil also provides end of stroke damping. If standard gas springs are operated and mounted in a rod-up orientation, fluid cannot reach the main seal or rod which leads to excessive seal wear and reduced life. It is recommended that standard gas springs be mounted rod down at least 30 degrees off horizontal. If the application cannot accommodate rod-down mounting, an oil or grease chamber should be specified. Both are optional features.

Why should springs be used rod-down ?
In order to keep the rod seal lubricated, a small amount of oil is used in every gas spring. When used rod-down, the oil is kept in contact with the rod seal which improves the sealing properties and ensure the seal will never become dry.

Gas Springs Rod Down

For this reason, one of the basic recommendations when incorporating gas springs in your design is to make sure they are used at an angle of less than 60 degrees from the vertical.

The oil used in the gas spring is also useful to obtain a high damping effect on the last few millimeters of the stroke. If the gas spring was not used rod-down, the piston would not have to go through the oil at the end of the extension and no damping effect would occur.

When this is not possible and the gas spring has to be used either rod-up or near horizontal, we specify an oil chamber or a fully damped gas spring. While these solutions are not as economical as standard gas springs, they will ensure your gas springs will last as long as a standard gas springs used with the rod facing down.

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
395.60 Points

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:26 pm 
I have to do the same thing to my boat but the link provided is no longer valid... Could you please update me on the info? I need both shocks and supports. Thanks!

Profile Personal album  

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
3,055.30 Points

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:42 pm 
Gimme a few.. I have my boat at the house. I will take a pic for you of the model of the gas shocks..

Here is the pic of the shocks, but as you can see I already have corrosion on the back side. If I replace again I will go with the stainless ones. I tend to get a fair amount of saltwater over the bow from time to time offshore fishing which I think is the culprit of some rust starting despite rubbing them down with corrosion x. The mount that attaches to the seat and ball studs at bottom were purchased at West Marine (store order) but I don't have record of the exact model. They have pictures.. If you need measurements just let me know. Hope this helps.

New Link: https://www.backtoboating.com/products/ ... as-springs

Jump to: