FIND US ON FACEBOOK     Friends of the ABC     CLUB CHAT ROOM AND LOUNGE     VIEW ACTIVE TOPICS     ABC CLUB STICKERS 

It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:00 am
Portal » Board index » Aquasport Resources

Author
Search for:
2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
2,633,266.45 Points

Bank:
9,791,707.00 Points

Post Posted: Mon May 11, 2015 11:58 pm 
For some time I have been wanting to put together a small emergency tool kit that I can keep on board for those unexpected repairs at sea. Carrying a full fledged toolbox and all sorts of spare parts is just not feasible. That's what Boat U.S. and Sea Tow are for. What I wanted was a small kit that I can keep on board to fix those small problems that can pop up on boats. I've looked at ready to go tools kits at the usual places, West Marine, Sears, Harbor Freight and so on. All of them either had way too much "fluff", not enough tools, was too big, contained things I wouldn't need, were not in a "maring freindly" case, etc etc. With our limited stowage I wanted small and compact kit that I can leave on board.

Today I was at Harbor Freight with some time to kill. That is when I spotted a nice little plastic ammo box that was on sale. It was small and it had a "corrosion resistant" bale and it was cheap! So I set about the store looking for the "must have" tools that would fit into the box. This is what I came up with... it's not everything but it is more than enough to let me MacGyver some repairs to get me home.

The contents I have come up with so far are:

• Open end wrench set (SAE)
  • 3/8" sockets
  • Composite 3/8" ratchet wrench
  • Spark plug socket
  • 4-in-1 Screw driver (can be used as nut driver)
  • Adjustable wrench
  • Diagonal cutting pliers
  • Needle nose pliers
  • Locking pliers
  • Gerber Multi-pliers
  • "Swiss Army" knock off knife
  • Safety wire
  • Test light
  • Zip ties
  • Electrical tape
  • Small bundle of wire
  • LED Flashlight
  • WD-40
  • Lighter

Here it is all laid out:

And look it all fits into the bos with room to spare!

I think I'm off to a good start so far. I intend to add a few more items to round out my kit. Such as:

• couple of spare spark plugs
  • electrical connectors
  • Fuses
  • hose clamps
  • garboard plug
  • cotter pin for prop

Of course this kit is not perfect and I can certainly put in much much more, but that defeats the purpose. I think the basic tools I have in it can get MY boat out of most minor breakdowns on the water. Keep in mind it is geared towards my motor and your requirements will vary.

I think this would be a great thread for us to share ideas and to come up with the best tool kit contents for each members particular boat.

1987 170 Osprey Striper

"We do NOT want socialized medicine" - Ronald Reagan

Profile Personal album  

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
10,769.25 Points

Bank:
2,596.45 Points

Post Posted: Tue May 12, 2015 12:42 am 
Looks about right. although i probably would add a hammer, magnet, and about a 4ft length of rope or twine. when working over the back end of the motor in rough seas its always good to tie your tool to your self.

1986 19'6 aquasport-___/\___ 1972 14ft Dargel Scooter-___/\___ 1982 1800 Hydrasports-

Profile Personal album  

Yoda

Cash on hand:
16,591.45 Points

Bank:
46,928,565.35 Points

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post Posted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:57 am 
As an aside...I LOVE that composite ratchet HF sells!! I have the 3/8" and 1/4" drive, tough as nails, very fine ratcheting mechanisms so a good bit of movement with just an 1/8th of a turn. There's my product endorsement.

For those with Yamahas, add a 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, and 17mm socket or wrench to the kit. Those 4 sizes, you can take apart just about the whole powerhead. As far as a crimper goes, a good pair will have excellent cutting jaws on the end, so you can leave the dykes at home. My Greenlee crimper cuts better than any dykes I've ever had.

Bruce mentioned a spare cotter pin for the prop nut...I recommend a spare nut as well. Cotter pin breaks and drops out, the nut ain't too far behind.

Not to do with a tool kit (but you'll need the stuff in it), but get to know all your t/hulls...where they are, what's their function, can you access them, and what you'll do should a hose split/crack/break. There are no shut-off valves on them (except for the ones in the bottom of the hull), and old hoses get very stiff and brittle, and can easily spring a leak...so plan accordingly.

Next?

My little project...

Profile Personal album  

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
3,992,289.60 Points

Bank:
218,225,712.20 Points

Post Posted: Wed May 13, 2015 6:03 pm 
That's pretty much what I have in mine along with a couple of different size fuses and a small container with a few stainless nuts,bolts and screws.Also I took the wrenches and sockets and put them in ziplock bag with a paper towel that I gave a good spray of WD 40, corrosion free for several years now.

Cash on hand:
140.00 Points

Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:27 am 
Don't forget Duck Tape!!! I patched a hot water hose on my Trans Am motor when I was 18 it lasted for over a year, I think

Cash on hand:
110.00 Points

Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:32 pm 
I was wondering when someone would mention duct tape. Much better is Gorilla Tape. Stumbled upon it on a construction site. Amazing stuff, my lowest bilge pump broke loose, I dried the bilge and secured the pump with this tape. As expected the bilge did puddle up, my pump stayed secure all season with the tape under water!!
About $12.00 a roll.

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
2,633,266.45 Points

Bank:
9,791,707.00 Points

Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:51 pm 
I have a roll of duct tape and zip ties on board but they won't fit in this small box.

BTW knock on wood I haven't needed this kit on the water yet. Also the tools inside look just like the day I put them in there. So the little box is keeping them nice and dry.

Edit: looking at the pic I think I need to double check on the size of the spark plug socket. I think the Etec plugs use the smaller 5/8" size socket.

1987 170 Osprey Striper

"We do NOT want socialized medicine" - Ronald Reagan

Profile Personal album  

Cash on hand:
315.35 Points

Post Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:51 pm 
I have a multi-meter in my kit. Spare cotter pin and prop nut are in there, too. I like to keep some electric dye grease on hand, I also have spare sets of spark plugs for my motors. I also carry spare kill switch lanyards. I do have spare ignition keys but they stay in the vehicle. I'm not sure that is best, it's just what we do with them now.
My kit is a bit heavy...I love those composite tools, I need to invest in some of those.

Great thread!

Twin '88 Johnson 70's
'02 Tahoe 5.3L

Profile Personal album  

Cash on hand:
4,415.20 Points

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:58 pm 
I keep a filter wrench, and a couple mercury specific tools in my bag. A few deepwell sockets, and a 3 ft piece of weed whacker line (to clear pee hole)

1993 Aquasport 210 Explorer(SOLD)
1991 Fountain 31TE

2004 F250 Lariat 4x4 6.0L Powerstroke with a bunch of stuff

Jump to: