FIND US ON FACEBOOK     Friends of the ABC     CLUB CHAT ROOM AND LOUNGE     VIEW ACTIVE TOPICS     ABC CLUB STICKERS 

It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:02 am
Portal » Board index » Aquasport Rebuilds

Author
Search for:

Cash on hand:
80.10 Points

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:02 pm 
This one started life as a family fisherman. I've gutted it to the stringers and have reattached a dam on the transom. There is a ridge where the cap is screwed to the gunnel which I cut out of the previous transom. When the dam was reattached it created a gap in the corners that I'm not sure what to do about. My first thought was modeling clay, what does the braintrust think?Image

Cash on hand:
80.10 Points

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:04 pm 
Don't mind that little gap in the starboard corner. I got a little too agressive with the grinder in a few places. Had to go all the way through to get a measure of how deep I should not go. :) HEHE There is still a touch of cleanup grinding to do in a few places as you can see in the pictures. But I had the help this weekend and needed an extra set of hands to hang the dam.

Also I keep thinking I need to brace up the hull but I have been diligently checking the fairness of the bottom with a 8' straight edge and not seeing any hook appear in the bottom of the hull.

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
10,769.25 Points

Bank:
2,596.45 Points

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:49 pm 
Welcome to the club! great work thus far. have any demo pics?

1986 19'6 aquasport-___/\___ 1972 14ft Dargel Scooter-___/\___ 1982 1800 Hydrasports-

Profile Personal album  

Cash on hand:
80.10 Points

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:49 am 
I have a couple of demo pics on the other aquasport page, I started my initial thread there. This boat was a family fisherman in pretty decent shape. The transom was completely gone, and the stringers had some residual water in the bottom. All in all the boat is in decent shape. I have my fiberglass and resin at the house to start the transom, but I've been traveling a bunch for work. I wish the pro's would chime in on my transom issue I referenced above. I'm just not sure how to proceed with that gap.

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
4,003,531.50 Points

Bank:
130,265,089.00 Points

Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:36 pm 
I love a good out of the box build.

First off, is that hull square on that trailer and level? If it is, then that gap shouldn't be there. If I remember correctly, that hull had a flat transom, not curved out or in... sCo_hmmthink

Get that hull off that trailer and on blocks. Level it front to back and side to side. This way there won't be a hook/twist in it and second it will take that gap out. Use a 1/2 in clear hose from Home Depot with water and food color for a long cheap level. Once you get that done, then check back in. Also since you cut the cap out and it doesn't have the stregnth in it, the sides are flaring out causing your issues as well. When you cut it out, did you measure the span from gunnel to gunnel? if not, then find the same boat and take those measurements at 2 foot intervals from back to from, then build cross braces to keep the sides from flopping out as they are doing now. That should help you get started in fixing those issues.

1972 22-2 Mod-V (Rebuild status)
1971 22-2 Flatback (Rebuild status)
1971 19-1 (Rebuild status)

Profile Personal album  

Cash on hand:
80.10 Points

Post Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:06 pm 
Commodore I appreciate you chiming in. Take a look at the pic below. As you can see there is a "lip" if you will where the rub rail goes and it carried all the way around the transom. Removing the lip is what is causing the gap I need to fill. I'm at the point where I think I'll just make a fillet up there and fair it once the transom dam is off.

As for the hull being level and supported it is supported pretty well, but I see that I need to get some more support under the chines and brace it up. I'll hopefull get that finished up this week and start on the transom. I really do appreciate any input on this project, as I'm way outside my comfort zone on this project.

Cash on hand:
796.05 Points

Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:17 pm 
Put a straightedge across the dam and make sure its flat also. You may need to screw some straight 2x4's across to pull it flat... But yes i agree the gap is just from removing the cap right there...

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
4,003,531.50 Points

Bank:
130,265,089.00 Points

Post Posted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:44 pm 
I agree with Chris, it is from removing the cap right there. If its good, let her eat and get some glass on her. Cant wait to see this build.

1972 22-2 Mod-V (Rebuild status)
1971 22-2 Flatback (Rebuild status)
1971 19-1 (Rebuild status)

Profile Personal album  

Jump to: