FIND US ON FACEBOOK     Friends of the ABC     CLUB CHAT ROOM AND LOUNGE     VIEW ACTIVE TOPICS     ABC CLUB STICKERS 

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:41 pm
Portal » Board index » Aquasport Rebuilds

Author
Search for:
2016 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
819.70 Points

Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:57 am 
55 gallon Fuel tank is ordered, delivery is still about 3 weeks away.

I stripped the lower fiberglass shell off of the fuel tank access panel, on Saturday. That was alot easier than it should have been. There was alot of resin starved fiberglass around the pie plate cutouts as well as around 3/4 of the edge of the panel, just wicking moisture to the wood core for all of these years. The wood was competely saturated and spongy. Around the pie plates and fwd end, the wood was not wood anymore. I had to spread the disposal of the wood core over 3 trash cans due to weight.

The top shell is in remarkably good shape and will be re-used. If I can't locate any exterior Ply up here, I'll make some myself with sandwiched 1/4" Ply and Epoxy. But that is on hold till the tank gets here I think. Will have to wait for a couple of dry days too.

Plan is to use the extra space from the smaller tank for the batteries. Just not sure yet which one I want up front. Once I get the old tank out (empying 5 gallons at a time, on dry days takes time), I'll be able to gage it a bit better. With the tank out, I can replace all of the fuel lines and hopefully all of the through hull fittings too.

Profile Personal album  

Yoda

Cash on hand:
16,591.45 Points

Bank:
46,928,565.35 Points

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:14 pm 
Dan, that sounds like a plan. As far as which batt to move fwd of the tank, well, if there is only room for 1, I'd move the house batt there. If there is room for house AND start, I'd nove them both there. That's taking approximately 100 lbs off the stern and putting it low and right on the CL. Where do you plan on locating the battery switch?

My little project...

Profile Personal album  

2016 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
819.70 Points

Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:14 pm 
Sorry about that, what I meant was, which to put fwd in the tank area, the tank, or the batteries. Pretty sure I'm going to put the tank up front, and both batteries right behind it. The fuel fill will be in the same spot as the original, and if I need to get into the tank area for fuel sender issues, I can take the lid off. I can't see putting in another pie plate for that, especially since the new tank won't have a sender with a visual indicator on it.

I'll keep the switch where it is now on the transom. It's high and dry and fairly easy to access. Doing that, I'll also only have to re-make the cables from the switch to the batteries. I replaced all of the battery cables and switch in September. I really don't want to break into that damn bundle at the engine housing again. It was a bear trying to figure out how it all fit in that molded rubber boot.

And now that I'm "Speaking out loud" about it, which do I want running that length, two cables or 4?. Crap. :doh:

Ray

Profile Personal album  

Yoda

Cash on hand:
16,591.45 Points

Bank:
46,928,565.35 Points

Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:29 pm 
Ray, my apologies on calling you Dan. I GET SO CONFUSED SOME TIMES!!!

My little project...

Profile Personal album  

2016 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
819.70 Points

Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:16 pm 
Bob C wrote:
Ray, my apologies on calling you Dan. I GET SO CONFUSED SOME TIMES!!!

Apparently, I do to. I didn't notice a problem. Even if I did...I owed ya one. :mrgreen:

Any thoughts on the fwd vs Aft location, or my battery switch location kerfuffle?

Profile Personal album  

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
2,633,296.50 Points

Bank:
9,791,707.00 Points

Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:24 pm 
The coffin cover that was on my 200 walk around had a bad core... Just peeled the thing apart with some pry bars. Ended up with was basically looks like a shoe box lid. Most of the water get in thru the screw holes that hold the cover down. I think I used #14 truss head screws for mine.

1987 170 Osprey Striper

"We do NOT want socialized medicine" - Ronald Reagan

Profile Personal album  

Yoda

Cash on hand:
16,591.45 Points

Bank:
46,928,565.35 Points

Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:54 pm 
Ray,
If you relocate the batts to aft of the fuel tank, you pretty much will have 20' round trips between the batts and the switch...so I'd run 2GA. You'll most likely have to extend your ground cable from the motor to the start batt. You can do that pretty easy using a power post (http://www.westmarine.com/blue-sea-syst ... 73_004_010" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). This way you don't have to mess with the cables on the motor...

My little project...

Profile Personal album  

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
10,769.25 Points

Bank:
2,596.45 Points

Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:18 pm 
Sounds like you have a good game plan going. i recored my coffin cover on my 200, i took a few pics in my aquasport build thead (link in my sig). luckily my new motor came off a 26ft boat so i didnt have to worry about splicing wires. original cables were in the back. take lots of pics, before, during and after hopefully it will help someone out down the road.

1986 19'6 aquasport-___/\___ 1972 14ft Dargel Scooter-___/\___ 1982 1800 Hydrasports-

Profile Personal album  

2016 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
819.70 Points

Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:06 pm 
Yea, I was a bit of a scatter brain this weekend. trying to accomplish too many unrelated tasks at once. I drained more fuel out of the tank, wife went shopping with the 17 year old, 5 year old tugging on my shirt with "can I help", "Will you play soccer with me?", gotta fix this, gotta do that...

For the panel, I didn't get any "before" pictures, nor any of the wood underneath. It was in my head, briefly, to take some photos. Just got in that mode, and got to it.

I looked at your project and had an ah-HA! moment, so thanks for that.

I'll start taking pictures going forward. I can see that I'm going to be sitting in the boat in the next few days trying to work out some more details. It's raining cats and dogs right now though...naturally.

Has anyone used Plascore to do a deck panel like this? Seems like the ideal location for it. Would be alot lighter, and moisture won't affect it.
http://fiberglasssupplydepot.com/Plasco ... lding.html

Profile Personal album  

2016 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
819.70 Points

Post Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:51 pm 
Having second thoughts about moving batteries this year. Need to get the tank in, fuel access panel re-cored, and get this thing outta my yard.

I got the old tank out today, and overall the bottom looks pretty good. Tank was obviously leaking, but I think most of it was coming out the top from the rotten seal on the fuel sender, which I'm guessing is also how so much water was getting in. There were some HUGE areas of pitting on the bottom of the tank, but no wet areas that I could see, no pin holes that I could find yet. Not sure how much time I want to spend looking though either. If there's any interest on this board, I'll clean it and wire brush it. Otherwise it's going to the scrap yard.

I took some pics. Let me know what ya'll think. I'm going to go pressure wash it. Pics are just after a quick vac.

[photobucket]Image[/photobucket]

That Last picture raised an eyebrow. Large area, about 2 inch diameter with very lose fibers, and not much behind it upon first poke.

Headed out to hit it with the pressure washer.

Profile Personal album  

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
10,769.25 Points

Bank:
2,596.45 Points

Post Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:12 pm 
wow that coffin is really clean. tank doesnt look to terrible. if there isnt any pitting i would have it pressure tested. might save you a few on a new tank.

1986 19'6 aquasport-___/\___ 1972 14ft Dargel Scooter-___/\___ 1982 1800 Hydrasports-

Profile Personal album  

Yoda

Cash on hand:
16,591.45 Points

Bank:
46,928,565.35 Points

Post Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:41 pm 
Agree with Corey, Ray. Clean it,pressure test to 3 PSI for 14 minutes, see how she does. BTW, the "chop" you showed in your last pick, that was probably stuck to a lam guys shoes when he was rolling out the cloth in the tank compartment...seriously! Nothing to worry about... :605_thumbs_up:

My little project...

Profile Personal album  

2016 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
819.70 Points

Post Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:33 pm 
Already have the new 55 gallon tank sitting on the patio. On the very bottom of the tank where the neoprene straps were, there was some BAD corrosion. Easily half the thickness was gone in several spots. I really think that I got this tank out at the right time. If it's not leaking, it certainly would be soon. Under the tank was THICK with grease like stuff. Some of it didn't come off even with the pressure washer and soaking first for 20 minutes in Simple Green.

There was a few high spots of fiberglass that were riding hard on the tank that also showed some corrosion and heavy wear also. Id be shocked if I didn't find pin holes at a minimum.

Got the tank out, got the fuel fill fitting out, and the fill hose out.

So I got it all cleaned out. I drilled some exploratory holes in the stringers and high and low on the inside of the transom, especially where it sounded a bit hollow…definitely some areas of delay there. But the wood seemed ok. No water coming out the inboard side. Still coming out a few holes on the outboard side though.

So now that I have the tank out, I pulled the water lines off the through-hull fittings on both sides for the bait boxes. I'm glad I did. Both fittings at the tank were broken, and water was definitely leaking in. the hoses are toast and it's pretty easy to see that I was getting water in there. Even found a rusted Screw driver laying right beneath the port side fitting in the foam, as well as some interesting fixes for the rod holders using PVC pipe, a couple of 1x6's and a couple of cans of expandable foam. What a mess.

So, how do I get these fittings out? I can reach them under the deck, but couldn't manage to get a wrench to bite to get the nut off of there. Any good tricks for this?

Pic is after Simple Green and pressure washing. Not bad at all. :605_thumbs_up:

Last edited by Ptnomore on Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Profile Personal album  

Yoda

Cash on hand:
16,591.45 Points

Bank:
46,928,565.35 Points

Post Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:04 pm 
Ray, I would assume you are talking about the drain fittings in the bottom of the boxes. They're old and dried out, that's why the barbs on the backside broke. Simply dremel off the flanges on the inside of the boxes and poke them right through.

Of course, installing new ones is going to be a treat. You'll definitely want to get a helper for that. Those are elbow drain fittings IIRC, with the barb pointed outboard towards the t/hulls in the hull. Have your buddy or wife hold the top side of the fitting (something like a wood slat tapered to fit into the drain and wedge is good) while you tighten from below. Not fun, but doable...

My little project...

Profile Personal album  

2016 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
819.70 Points

Post Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:27 pm 
The drain fittings I got. They're out. It's the fittings at the other end of that hose that I want to take out, the ones that go through the side of the hull. They appear to be chrome over brass from the looks of the outside. They don't look like they're in terrible shape, but I'd like to take them out, and re-bed those while I have access, just to make sure I don't/won't have water coming in there.

I can JUST reach those thru- hull fittings but not enough to get channel locks to bite on the nuts.

one night next week, I'm gonna go for the hole saw method. Looks easy enough. I just won't be able to re-use them when I'm done.

I also noticed that the seacock in the back is a non-sea worthy seacock. Looks like a Home Depot special. It's a ball valve with a very rusty looking handle assembly. Ugh. It operates, but it sounds a little crunchy in there. :roll eyes:

Last edited by Ptnomore on Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Profile Personal album  

Jump to: