FIND US ON FACEBOOK     Friends of the ABC     CLUB CHAT ROOM AND LOUNGE     VIEW ACTIVE TOPICS     ABC CLUB STICKERS 

It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:51 am
Portal » Board index » All the Other Boats

Author
Search for:

Cash on hand:
365.05 Points

Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:14 am 
Just picked up newest toy yesterday. To add to my V-20 fleet I picked up a 1987 V-20 Cuddy.

I pretty much bought it sight unseen as it was in Wilmington NC which is a 5 hour drive for me. But I wasn't completely in the dark. Our good friend Scott (Gran398) was generous enough to take a ride down and scope her out for me. Once he gave me his report I told the owner I wanted it. I tried to give him a deposit to hold it because I couldn't make it down for a couple weeks but being the nice trusting guy he is he just told me to come get it when I could.

Made it down Sunday and loved it soon as I seen her. I'm a sucker for these mini Carolina flare boats. The boat seems extremely solid. I have suspicion the transom has been redone at some point as every original V I've seen has an aluminum transom cap and this one isn't. I tapped the transom with a hammer and only found 2 very small spots that made that moisture thud. Sure enough it's right where the stringers tie in which is where these boats are famous for moisture issues. One small 8" diameter spot in the floor at the cuddy door is the only floor issue. I may just try and inject epoxy in it to hold me over. I definitely feel I can get a few years out of her with no major overhaul.

She will be powered by my freshly built Merc 2.5 200. Motor could go on today but I'm debating painting the hull first. The current paint appears to have no primer under it and it's very thin paint. The paint along the waterline is chipping and on the bow it just looks like it's been washed away over time. The paint can be scratched off with my fingernail so sanding it down should be a cake walk. We will see what happens.

Anyways I'll keep you guys updated and Gran398 I can't thank you enough for the help. :2403_worshipper:

Profile Personal album  

Cash on hand:
365.05 Points

Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:37 pm 
Well here she is as I brought her home. Grabbed these pics quick tonight as I've been pretty busy. Note the starboard side rod box isn't there. He removed it to de-rig the boat and never screwed it back in. We drove about 25 miles before our first stop to check on things and it was laying in the floor. Whew losing that would of sucked. Threw it in the cuddy for the rest of the ride.

Anyways enjoy:

As you look over the pics please feel free to express any concern you may have over something you see. You may have noticed the fuel filler located toward the stern. The guy I got it from said it was done when he got the boat. It had a tank put in it approx 6 years ago and that's where they relocated the filler neck for some reason. Only con I see in it is I'll have to pull up further at a station to fuel it up and block up the parking lot more. I plan on closing off the existing hole as one of my first projects.

Also while the tank was replaced it appears the hatch covers were glassed over. Whoever did it did a good solid job. My plan is to try and epoxy fill the soft spot in the floor then roll Awlgrip or something similar over the whole floor. That will take care of those patches as well.

I believe I may start prepping it for paint before I even put my motor on as the paint can pretty much be wiped right off. I believe between no primer and possibly the wrong paint it's just not holding on too well. I can paint well so I should be able to knock this out in a couple weekends. As far as fiberglass work the hull itself is perfect so it's gonna be a quick sand, prime and paint, just gotta get the money from somewhere.

This should be a good quick project to get on the water this year. I believe a hardtop is in the future but not anytime soon. The bottom paint is ok and I really don't require it as I leave my boat in the water overnight once and a while but never more than 2 days. If I can get by this year without bottom painting that'd be great. When it's time I'll use antifouling paint again. Even though I don't need it I really don't want to go through the hassle of trying to get it off and paint the hull with nice paint. If it were a complete resto I'd consider it.

Profile Personal album  

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
2,633,266.45 Points

Bank:
9,791,707.00 Points

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:51 am 
Looks like a solid boat. So if they glassed over the pie plates in the tank cover. How do you gain access to the tank, sender etc. for maintenance? I'd pull that tank cover and see what's going on in there. If the fill neck on the tank is at the aft end I think that would limit you filling the tank. I'd personally put in new inspection plates in.

For the bottom paint I'd repaint it with a hard style paint designed for trailered boats.

1987 170 Osprey Striper

"We do NOT want socialized medicine" - Ronald Reagan

Profile Personal album  

Classics Expert

Cash on hand:
10,561.55 Points

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:47 pm 
Thomas, happy to help. The boat was in really good shape for her age, and for what he was asking you came out great.

Glad you got her, looking forward to seeing her run this summer :605_thumbs_up:

Profile Personal album  

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
10,769.25 Points

Bank:
2,596.45 Points

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:25 pm 
the hull looks pretty good. who the hell knows what they did with the paint though. i would recommend you sand it lightly with 320 grit. get the blue off and see how the gel looks underneath. if it looks good i would go up to 500 grit and buff it. i will second pulling that hatch up and seeing what the tank situation is.

1986 19'6 aquasport-___/\___ 1972 14ft Dargel Scooter-___/\___ 1982 1800 Hydrasports-

Profile Personal album  

Cash on hand:
365.05 Points

Post Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:34 pm 
Gonna pull the hatch this weekend. Find out what's going on down there. Also I'm going to get a quote on soda blasting the antifouling paint and blue paint off and see what I got. I don't leave my boats in the water for more than a couple days so I really don't need bottom paint. I'd love to be able to get it off and find nice gelcoat under there.

Profile Personal album  

Cash on hand:
365.05 Points

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:56 am 
Motor is hung. Just got to clean up some sketchy wiring and hopefully she'll be running by the weekend. Also have to drain the fuel tank as it's plain gas and I premix with this motor.

Profile Personal album  

Cash on hand:
365.05 Points

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:07 am 
Also I pulled the tank cover to find a poly 50gal tank. I'm guessing the owner was given the tank of just got a soectacular deal on it as that's the only reason I could see changing the configuration of the tank. The tank hatch was recored and done well. I'm thinking about putting an access panel back in it to get to the sending unit however. One scary thing was when I pulled the tank the whole area was full of water about to the top of the stringers. Apparently they put some foam under the tank when bedding it and it completetly blocked the drainage holes. Because of the battery tray in the bilge area it's impossible to see the drain hole in the bulkhead but I was able to feel around with a metal bar and felt a soft foamy spot and just shoved the rod through and hoped for the best. Sure enough soon as I removed it water started gushing out. It drained for probably 45 minutes continuously.

Profile Personal album  

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
2,633,266.45 Points

Bank:
9,791,707.00 Points

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:54 am 
I'm not sure of the bulkhead configuration of that hull, but your right there should be drain holes in them to allow water to flow from fore to aft. I'd make sure the holes forward of the tank and under the tank are clear of obstructions. Since your this far along I'd personally pull the tank and see what's going on there. A 2" pvc pipe split in half lengthwise makes a good drain channel for water to pass under the tank.

1987 170 Osprey Striper

"We do NOT want socialized medicine" - Ronald Reagan

Profile Personal album  

Classics Expert

Cash on hand:
10,561.55 Points

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:35 pm 
Glad you opened that tank hatch! :605_thumbs_up:

Profile Personal album  

Cash on hand:
365.05 Points

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:12 pm 
There is a small PVC pipe that runs from the bow all the way to the stern under the tank. I know in my center console the holes where it comes through the bulkhead are much wider than the pipe but sit tight on top of the pipe. Feels like this is the same way I just can't see or feel it. Tried to take a pic under the battery tray but it's all just black and nasty. May go ahead and pull the tank. Not but a few screws.

Profile Personal album  

Cash on hand:
365.05 Points

Post Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:40 pm 
Well guys I basically spent all day today working on the boat. Here's what got done.

Console and controls are wired and hooked up. Surprisingly after all the re-wiring I did everything worked as it was supposed to. Only thing left to hook up are electronics like radio, gps, compass light etc. Nothing keeping me from cruising the river.

Gauges look great. Might replace the bulbs with leds but not a huge issue. Fuel gauge read half a tank and also today I drained the tank. There was roughly 18 gallons in it. It's a 50 gallon Moeller tank so seems the gauge is a little lower than what's actually in the tank. But when refueling it 5 gallons at a time I took note of the 5 gallon and 10 gallon reading that way I know when it's time to head home. With 5 gallons the gauge reads 1/16 of a tank and at 10 gallons it reads just a hair under 3/8 so I will know exactly what's left in there. I plan on making a decal with this info so I do not forget.

When I drained the tank I used a hand pump and got as much as possible. There was maybe 1/4" of fuel left in the tank. I pumped the primer ball and sure enough the pickup sucked the tank almost dry. That's great news I guess, seems she'll run til it's definitely out.

Also I added a access for the sending unit and pickup location. The PO recored the hatch and didn't put an access back in it. I feel it's necessary as I'd hate to have to crack the hatch seal if I needed just a quick repair in there. Once I start doing glass work I plan on glassing the edges of the hole to seal the core back up.

I had bought these stainless rod holders for my green boat to help keep rain water from running down on top of the foam, plus they look much nicer than the cheap plastic ones. This boat was similar in design. Any rain water just ran into the hull and in theory would work its way to the bilge and out but we all know that closed cell foam after many years will take on water. Probably won't stop it but should help.

Got my batteries in and strapped down good. The battery shelf has seen better days for sure. Has a lot of moisture in it. I sandwiched it between 2 pieces of starboard then mounted the battery straps with screws that reach through all 3 layers. They won't move now. Also not sure if it's common practice but I put a toggle switch on one of the lids for the float switch 12v constant supply. That way when it's on the trailer, covered and plug out I can cut it off just for peace of mind that it won't short and drain the battery.

I love the room with just one seat. I plan on running the bean bag chair and getting maybe a couple fold out chairs. There's no way with the floor being soft on the port side where the existing seat was that I can mount another pedestal.

Once fueled up I decided to try and fire the motor. It hadn't ran since I got it back from the rebuild. Primed the ball up good and hit the key and bam!! fired right up. I shut it right down as I'm going to get my buddy to come over when I start it up for good to have him make sure everything seems normal.

Next on the list is trying to inject the soft spot in the floor with epoxy. I have no doubt that the boat needs a floor in the near future, just with all the other headaches I have going on I just can't dig into that right now. Hopefully I can get a couple years out of her with minimal repairs.

Profile Personal album  

Jump to: