FIND US ON FACEBOOK     Friends of the ABC     CLUB CHAT ROOM AND LOUNGE     VIEW ACTIVE TOPICS     ABC CLUB STICKERS 

It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:40 am
Portal » Board index » Classic Aquasports Discussion!

Author
Search for:

Cash on hand:
3,194.75 Points

Post Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:29 pm 
Now I know a number of you are think OH HELL here we go again. But you would be wrong. I'm thinking of doing a little repair work on my 1972 19-6. But to tell the truth, I can't tell if the guy that owned it before me painted the boat or I just have old faded gel coat. Now I know he painted the inside. But I can't tell if the deck and hull has been painted or as I said faded gel. See now you see another side of getting old your eyes aren't as good as they were. Now I seam to remember a chemical you could use by scraping off some of the finish and putting it in and if you get a reaction it is paint. But theirs the other rub I can't remember the name of it. So what do you guys do???????? sSc_help

Profile Personal album  

Classics Expert

Cash on hand:
10,434.40 Points

Post Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:05 pm 
Walt, if it is the classic slightly off-white, 99% sure it's gel.

To confirm, take a real close look at any deep scratches, gouges etc.

If it's gel it will be uniform in color thru to the underlying glass.

Paint will show as a thin coating (you should see a little peeling where the surface tension has broken) then the gelcoat, then the glass.

Profile Personal album  

Cash on hand:
3,194.75 Points

Post Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:41 am 
thanks Scott, see how much help my old butt needs. I'll take my mag glasses out and let them do my looking. Dam its hot up here today. I have a frozen brake on my trailer for my 222ccp. The brakes need changing bad. In fact I need to change everything. I'll more then likely change to set brakes. I would love to put on disk brakes but with having to change a perfectly good sarge head doesn't make much Sence and it would be to costly right now . So sst drum brakes will go back on. So I'm out their cut the dam drum with my sawal, why be cause I HAVE MY DAM TORUCH BARRIED BEHIND TO MUCH JUNK :2261_high: . So till I get my new shop built. The sawals and my electric cord is all I can get to. I just came in to cool off then back out to use my puller to finish d getting the drum off. sAng_scream

Profile Personal album  

Classics Expert

Cash on hand:
10,434.40 Points

Post Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:29 pm 
Heck man I got away from trailer brakes a long time ago, they were nothing but a pain in the ass, always rusting out and locking up.

Our area is flat as a pancake, so really no biggee not having brakes around here for a small boat.

Our boys down in FL, different story. They have to run trailer brakes by law in certain areas. Down in the keys they pull you over and check your brakes. Big source of revenue during lobster season sHa_woot

Profile Personal album  

Cash on hand:
3,194.75 Points

Post Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:52 pm 
We have the same problem here. But we are a sneaky bunch. We crimp the bracket line right behind the brake cylinder, then remove all the guts out of the brakes. Then just put the drum back on. works fine.. Know one has got caught yet. Now if your one of those unlucky guys, who has to get his trailer inspected every time you get your tags renew, then you can't do what I said. But I'm lucky My trailer year fell into a slot, were mine doesn't have to be inspected as long as I keep up to date tags on my trailer. sFun_crazydance But not sure how this truck will handle that rig with out brakes. I can't get over how big the rear drums are on this truck. these dam things are 14"s. Never saw brake so big on a truck this size. sSig_cool2 :mrgreen:

Profile Personal album  

Site Admin

Cash on hand:
2,013,619.90 Points

Bank:
48,320,404.30 Points

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:22 pm 
The key to trailer brakes lasting is buy good ones like Kodiac Disc and never let the salt water dry on them, as soon as my boat is in the water and I pull out the trailer my trailer brakes get washed with fresh water, the ramp I use most has a hose so it's easy but when I go elsewhere I carry a 25 gallon water tank with pump and hose in the back of my truck to do it, going on 7 years now with same brakes minus new pads 2 years ago.

Profile Personal album WWW  

Cash on hand:
3,194.75 Points

Post Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:54 pm 
that sounds like a good idea. I have a few 20gal barrels I can use one with a 12v live well pump. Not all the ramps I use have wash down areas. Right now I don't need to put brakes on I just need to be able to move the boat around till I can start to work on her. The boat for my daughter and son in law is done for this year. They can use it till fall when it will be back here for new louver hatch covers, which I need to build. But the shop needs to get finished so I can get to my tools. :605_thumbs_up:

Profile Personal album  

Cash on hand:
3,194.75 Points

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:13 pm 
It's paint. I sanded off a little on the back corner. what's crazy is it has only two coats. I'm thinking at so point of just sanding it down to the original finish and seeing how it looks. But the ccp comes first. I just want to fix a few spots of the19-6 so I will and just hit it with my touch up gun and paint.

Profile Personal album  

Jump to: