FIND US ON FACEBOOK     Friends of the ABC     CLUB CHAT ROOM AND LOUNGE     VIEW ACTIVE TOPICS     ABC CLUB STICKERS 

It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:51 am
Portal » Board index » Electronics

Author
Search for:
2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
3,055.30 Points

Post Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:31 am 
All,

Just acquired another Garmin 740s which I plan to run in parallel to the one I already own. My thought process is to use one as a dedicated chartplotter the other for sonar and/or radar depending on activity. I am going to hook the second to my NEMA 2000 network so they share data. Unfortunately with my current dash layout both will have be on bail-mounts. Any other considerations I should be aware of?

B

Yoda

Cash on hand:
16,591.45 Points

Bank:
46,928,565.35 Points

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:51 pm 
Bruce, you have the earlier Osprey console where you have a gauge panel to port, glovebox to starboard, correct? What about using a 1/2" piece of starboard to cover the whole area, then mount your gauges in the starboard to port as well as having room to flushmout the 740s to starboard. I've done this several times where the installation of old electronics made Swiss cheese out of the existing mounting area...

My little project...

Profile Personal album  

Yoda

Cash on hand:
16,591.45 Points

Bank:
46,928,565.35 Points

Post Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:56 pm 
Not exactly the same, but you get the idea. This is a 33 Palmetto I did that had old Raymarine E and C series stuff (BIG units), the owner wanted 2 new Raymarine 700 series touch screens, so I went the starboard route...

Before

After

My little project...

Profile Personal album  

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
2,633,311.50 Points

Bank:
9,791,707.00 Points

Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:08 pm 
Bruce, I'm running twin 7" HDS units. I love it. I typically run one unit with the sonar and the second unit as a chart plotter. MUCH better than running a split screen. However when I'm running I sometimes switch it up and run a chartplotter on one and my nav screen on the other. Not sure how the Garmins work but if I plot a course on one it shows up on both units.

1987 170 Osprey Striper

"We do NOT want socialized medicine" - Ronald Reagan

Profile Personal album  

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
3,055.30 Points

Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:26 pm 
I am excited to see how they work in conjunction with each other. From what I gather they will communicate numerical data b/t the two like speed, depth, water temp and way-points but I am not sure how else they will communicate since technically they are not networked despite both will be on a NMEA 2000 network. I'll snap some pics after I mount the second unit this Saturday. I'd really like to flush mount them (as Bob suggested) but I would be nervous leaving them on the boat unattended plus it's a major project. Down the road when I re-power may be the time for that because I will likely be able to get rid of most of my current gauges in lieu of the new multipurpose digital ones not to mention using the Garmin gauges on the MFD, so we will see. It will be nice not having to split the screens anymore, most notably, my radar screen when used at 5+ mile range whereby targets close in were depicted so small it was hard to discern them from clutter.

B

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
3,055.30 Points

Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:04 am 
All,

Completed the install of the second unit on Saturday and had some time to test the tandem setup over the weekend. It works great and is exactly what I was looking for. I wired it so that my sonar and radar are on the starboard unit and the port unit will be dedicated for chart-plotter functionality. Both are connected to the NMEA 2000 network so they share data like depth, water temperature, fuel flow. It was also very easy to merge the data b/t the two units so I have a complete and matching list of way-points on either. I took a couple pics last night on the way back from dinner.. The blurry one is my GF driving her down the IC.. sSc_eek

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
2,633,311.50 Points

Bank:
9,791,707.00 Points

Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:13 pm 
Bruce, Thats a nice looking set up. I can tell you your gonna love it!

Question- can the units "see" the way points on the other unit or did you have to transfer them over? I'm curious since my HDS units can see and navigate to waypoints that are stored on the other unit and they can share maps etc. I guess it is different since the Lowrance is using basically an Ethernet type of network.

1987 170 Osprey Striper

"We do NOT want socialized medicine" - Ronald Reagan

Profile Personal album  

Yoda

Cash on hand:
16,591.45 Points

Bank:
46,928,565.35 Points

Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:46 pm 
Bruce B, I like the set up bracket mounted to the top of the dash. Reduces the amount of eye/head movement when looking down from driving, keeps them more in a short "scan" type view, where you just need to move your eyes, not your head.

I also agree with leaving $1500 worth of stuff on the boat that is relatively easy to remove, even when flush mounted...

My little project...

Profile Personal album  

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
3,055.30 Points

Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:55 pm 
Thanks Bob and Bruce! :1992_beer_cheer:

The way that waypoints work is there's a merge function that is kicked off via either one of the units and it keeps both in-sync. It has to be done manually so they truly don't share that type of info real-time. That is a good as it gets for the 740s since they are considered non networking but it gets me where I need to be for now. I am just glad I don't have to split screens anymore!

One thing I did not test was the units in navigation mode.. I have to test that to see if the plotter in nav mode impacts the other. When you are in nave mode (on one unit) the radar screen shows your course line too.. It would be interesting if they communicate now.. more to come on that later.

As as side note, I was considering bail mounting a larger unit but I would have to get a 10 inch are larger to even come close to the screen size of the 740 (10 inch split) which would have cost me a ton more money and likely obscure my view out the windshield to boot. That pretty much sealed the deal on my direction.

B

Yoda

Cash on hand:
16,591.45 Points

Bank:
46,928,565.35 Points

Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:09 pm 
Bruce, it's always amazed me the price differences between the different display sizes, when, for all practical purposes, each unit (7", 10", 12", etc.) are all capable of doing the same thing.

I can't recall on Scotty's 740s when I installed it, but does the back side have a network port (not the N2K port) where you can connect the units together via ethernet (or run them through the Garmin network box, forget the P/N) so they can share data realtime via ethernet?

My little project...

Profile Personal album  

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
3,055.30 Points

Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:24 pm 
The price dif is huge b/t the screen sizes.. Interestingly, the Garmin 840xs is CHIRP / downvue capable and is reasonably priced. It just didn't offer me the screen size that I wanted as a two way split would only yield me two 5 inch screens and isn't touch screen which I really like so the business case just wasn't there for me. The new model that comes out this winter is going to be touch screen but the price point is gonna jump near the $2K mark and I think the next step up from the 7 inch is the 10 inch.

As far as the ports.. Bob my 740s has:

External GPS antenna
Garmin power / data connection
Ethernet (Radar Only)
N2K

I think the 741xs (new model) has the network port you are speaking of.

Yoda

Cash on hand:
16,591.45 Points

Bank:
46,928,565.35 Points

Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:37 pm 
Gotcha. The radar port is ethernet as the 740s works only with an HD radar, which is digital...

My little project...

Profile Personal album  

Jump to: