FIND US ON FACEBOOK     Friends of the ABC     CLUB CHAT ROOM AND LOUNGE     VIEW ACTIVE TOPICS     ABC CLUB STICKERS 

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:49 am
Portal » Board index » Electronics

Author
Search for:

Cash on hand:
875.45 Points

Post Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:43 am 
I realize this is a stretch......but someone out there might have run into this.
Got my fancy new Garmin echoMAP 50DV installed...and got my nice new Uniden UM415 DSC radio installed.
Both power on and seem to function......EXCEPT.....
They won't speak to each other!!!! :1898_:
I have read everything over in each manual a zillion times....checked all the connections a zillion times... Garmin blue wire (NEMA 0183 internal port 1 Tx) to Uniden yellow (NEMA In), Garmin brown (NEMA 0183 internal port 1 Rx) to Uniden white (NEMA Out), Garmin black (gnd) to Uniden bare (shield/gnd).
Seems like the radio ought to receive GPS coordinates just fine and display......but no luck.
Only thing I wonder about in the wiring is the Uniden manual shows a black wire (gnd) in their accessory cable....but the Uniden accessory cable does NOT have a black wire. Hmmmmmmm.........

Spoke to Garmin Support yesterday...went through all settings, and and the Garmin side should be right. Unfortunately, Uniden Support was not there.....so guess I need to be patient until Monday.

Anyway, like I said.....I doubt that anyone other than Tech Support at Uniden can make this right.s, please share. Thanks!...but figured I would through it out there. If you have thoughts or any , please share. Thanks!

Yoda

Cash on hand:
16,591.45 Points

Bank:
46,928,565.35 Points

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:57 am 
Tom, on your Garmin, go into the system config menu, make sure your NMEA output is set to 0183, make sure your baud rate is correct, check those things first. From the looks of your wiring, sounds like you have that part correct...

My little project...

Profile Personal album  

Cash on hand:
875.45 Points

Post Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:02 pm 
Hey Bob,
Went in the Communications part of System with the Garmin rep. Did find I had to change the Serial Port 1 from being set for Garmin to set for NEMA Standard. He then said 'everything should be set' on the Garmin side of things.
Not sure if that is what you were after.
As to baud rate....I don't see any documentation of what it is 'supposed to be'.
Still wonder about the lack of black wire in the Uniden accessory cable. Wonder if it is simply a bad cable with one wire missing. Bad part is it is made into the back of the radio as opposed to the plug in on the Garmin.

Once again...I do appreciate your efforts :1992_beer_cheer:

Yoda

Cash on hand:
16,591.45 Points

Bank:
46,928,565.35 Points

Post Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:07 pm 
The baud rate is the rate of transmission of the data. IIRC, you have a choice of low speed (32,000 baud) or high (48,000 baud). Typical is low speed.

Try this. Swap the white wire off the radio and use the green wire. See what happens. The reason I suggest this is that if you look on pg. 34 of your install manual, the green wire and the yellow wire complete your "recieve" circuit...and that's what you want the radio to do, recieve the GPS data from your Garmin...

My little project...

Profile Personal album  

Cash on hand:
875.45 Points

Post Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:06 pm 
Hmmmmm....
if I understand correctly, the white wire from the radio is out to the GPS to transfer data from the radio to the chartplotter. If radio receives a DSC distress call on 16, it will automatically send position data on the vessel in distress to the chartplotter and that position will be displayed on chartplotter screen. Pretty slick.....if it worked!!!!! Likewise, the blue wire transmits position data of my vessel constantly to the radio. If I use the DSC distress button, my position is automatically radioed.
Since Garmin tech said connections I made were correct and all seemed correct on the Garmin side (course I suppose that might be wishful thinking ), I suspect there may be a snafu in the radio. I still wonder why a black (gnd) wire is shown in radio accessory cable in the manual, yet there is NO black wire in my cable.......
sCo_hmmthink

Cash on hand:
875.45 Points

Post Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:37 am 
Oh HAPPY DAY!!!! sHa-shakeshout

Got Uniden tech on the phone this AM (long wait, but very helpful fella once connected)
Told him the issue and he had to do some digging.
I had indeed wired things correctly.....but what he said was to also connect the Uniden green wire (NEMA in -) to the Garmin black wire (gnd) which was already connected to the Uniden bare wire (shield/gnd).
This was NOT in the Uniden manual BTW.

BINGO! We have communication!

So...maybe all this headache might help someone else having GPS/radio communication issues......try connecting the radio's NEMA IN(-) to GPS ground .

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
4,003,596.60 Points

Bank:
130,265,089.00 Points

Post Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:42 am 
sSig_cool2

1972 22-2 Mod-V (Rebuild status)
1971 22-2 Flatback (Rebuild status)
1971 19-1 (Rebuild status)

Profile Personal album  

Yoda

Cash on hand:
16,591.45 Points

Bank:
46,928,565.35 Points

Post Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:42 am 
Told ya that green wire was important. Yesterday, had swapping the green and white not worked, I was gonna tell you run the green to ground...

My little project...

Profile Personal album  

Cash on hand:
875.45 Points

Post Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:52 am 
Bob...You da man!!!! Should have tried it. :doh:
Truth be told, I was a bit worried it might cause some issue (????) that Uniden would balk at if the radio needed returning. Too many little colored wires for me to feel comfortable swapping them around. If Uniden tells me to swap wires and it cooks, it is on them!

Yoda

Cash on hand:
16,591.45 Points

Bank:
46,928,565.35 Points

Post Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:01 pm 
Tom, hooking up wires "wrong" in a NMEA 0183 configuration won't hurt a thing, as it's not voltage we're really talking about here, but data transmission. + and - are sort of a misnomer here, "out" and "in" is more appropriate. If you wire a 0183 device incorrectly, nothing will be hurt, it simply won't work...

My little project...

Profile Personal album  

Cash on hand:
875.45 Points

Post Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:13 pm 
sSig_cool2

Guess it was a question of 'what I don't know ....MIGHT hurt me'
Live and learn.
I do appreciate you trying to point me in the right direction.....should have relayed my concerns and you could have straightened me out then. Oh well.....all is good now. Just have to learn how to USE these fancy tools! sFun_eyescan

Jump to: