FIND US ON FACEBOOK     Friends of the ABC     CLUB CHAT ROOM AND LOUNGE     VIEW ACTIVE TOPICS     ABC CLUB STICKERS 

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:17 pm
Portal » Board index » Electronics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author
Search for:

Cash on hand:
230.05 Points

Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:56 pm 
Both of those transducer options sound great if done properly. It seems pretty scary to cut a hole right through the hull to install a B60, but I like the idea of clean readings at speed and nothing hanging down off of the transom.

I haven't had any sort of fishfinder, depth finder, etc since 2011 on my old boat. I will just be happy to have depth, water temp, chartplotting capability, graph, and a large screen. With that said I don't know how much the CHIRP technology would be worth to me. Would I be able to tell the difference in CHIRP and non-CHIRP for occasional bottom readings to get the general layout of a spot? I'm not trying to land a piece of popcorn on the end of my line in a 6" wide hole 800 feet below the surface. Especially with the cost of some of these CHIRP transducers!

I think I may take up Bruce's offer of both Bruce's helping me out on the install, as I will probably need a pep talk before cutting through the bottom of the boat! I'm hoping the fiberglass on a 22-2 is thick enough to support a B60 without flexing or cracking. It looks like pretty thick Bi-axial matt, but I wonder with the transducer placement away from the stringers if the structure will hold up on a 42 year old boat. The good thing is that the B60 will probably go exactly where my Airmar P79 is right now in the bilge, and it has easy access for install right by my access hatch.

If I go with a B60, I will be sure to order a Garmin specific (8-pin) for a 12 degree deadrise hull. How often does a thru-hull transducer have to be taken out and reinstalled to make sure everything is sealed, tight, etc if you want to be on the safe side? I think the 5200 will do its job, but I have always been nervous about thru-hull fittings below the water line even on a trailer kept boat.

Whether I go with transom mount or thru-hull, I will remember omnifish's advice on drilling a cone shaped large diameter hole, backfilling with resin, then redrilling for the actual screw to be installed in a transom.

Thanks Guys!
-Ben

1974 Aquasport 22-2
2001 Yamaha 150 HPDI
Owens & Sons Trailer

Profile Personal album  

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
3,055.30 Points

Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:06 pm 
Ben,

If you go with the B60 (bronze version) it's very beefy. The collar that screws down is large and I used plenty of 5200. If installed properly you never have to mess with it. There is a great youtube video (link below) that I used to install mine. if you can get beyond the close to three inch hole the rest is a piece of cake!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcBdkjCtifA

Cash on hand:
230.05 Points

Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:54 pm 
Hey guys!

I PM'd semperfifishing on THT because he has a sale on the 741xs right now. When I asked him for a price on the B60 transducer, he also mentioned the B150M CHIRP transducer for about $85 more. Same thru hull bronze base design (2" instead of 2-3/8"). While I don't know if I would see much benefit from CHiRP in under 100' of water, should I consider stepping up to CHIRP for less than $100 more while I am doing the install anyway?

As I said, I will be fishing in the Gulf and in lakes in Tennessee that are all less than 200' deep.

Thanks,
Ben

1974 Aquasport 22-2
2001 Yamaha 150 HPDI
Owens & Sons Trailer

Profile Personal album  

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
202,903.70 Points

Bank:
70,764,190.35 Points

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:18 pm 
btf112989 wrote:
Hey guys!

I PM'd semperfifishing on THT because he has a sale on the 741xs right now. When I asked him for a price on the B60 transducer, he also mentioned the B150M CHIRP transducer for about $85 more. Same thru hull bronze base design (2" instead of 2-3/8"). While I don't know if I would see much benefit from CHiRP in under 100' of water, should I consider stepping up to CHIRP for less than $100 more while I am doing the install anyway?

As I said, I will be fishing in the Gulf and in lakes in Tennessee that are all less than 200' deep.

Thanks,
Ben

How much is the Garmin 741xs on sale for?

12/25/11

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
3,055.30 Points

Post Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:04 pm 
For that little in price I would consider it.

B

Cash on hand:
230.05 Points

Post Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:45 am 
It's on sale for $815 with free S&H. Not much less, but $830 has been the cheapest around I have seen. $15 is $15.

I think I am going to go with the CHIRP for only $76 more now that I looked at the price again.

Thanks guys!

1974 Aquasport 22-2
2001 Yamaha 150 HPDI
Owens & Sons Trailer

Profile Personal album  

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
3,055.30 Points

Post Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:29 am 
That's a great price for the Garmin unit!

B

Cash on hand:
230.05 Points

Post Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:06 am 

So the next great question would be where to mount this 741xs on my console? As you can see my console has a lot going on up top and some blank space down low. I would like to just top mount it centered where my 3-cup holder is on top, but then should I buy two 1-cup holders to mount on each side where my current GPS and external GPS antenna are mounted?

SeaBob sold me the current GPS unit about 4 years back when he took it off a boat during one of his rewiring jobs. Its worked well, but I have always wanted the added depth/fishfinder and a chartplotter with a more in depth map display.

The other option I thought about was mounting a Ram mount based where the external GPS antenna is mounted now, so I could turn the unit any direction I want while still using the cupholders that are already installed.

I don't think there are currently any flush-mount options for me, and I hope to add a VHF radio in the space below the Clarion head unit in the future.

And yes, my gasoline fill is right next to the external GPS antenna, and runs through my console. I have never loved that set-up and I considered moving it during my leaning post install, console shift forward, anchor locker install, and kiwigrip job last summer. I would have to cut into the deck and stringer to move it though.

So what do you guys vote? Top-mounted and centered where the cupholders are, mounted on a ram mount where the external GPS antenna sits now, mounted where the current GPS is, or flush-mounted somehow (I could move the radio)?

Thanks,
Ben

1974 Aquasport 22-2
2001 Yamaha 150 HPDI
Owens & Sons Trailer

Profile Personal album  

Site Admin

Cash on hand:
2,013,690.00 Points

Bank:
48,320,404.30 Points

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:21 pm 
I like to stand when I drive so my first choice would be where the cup holders are but putting it where the old unit is would be my second choice

Profile Personal album WWW  

Classics Expert

Cash on hand:
10,596.80 Points

Post Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:47 pm 
Agree with Scott. You have limited space at present. Great new addition, so put it front and center where you can see it, the focal point for nav/depth, running etc.

Single cup holders can go to either side, and slightly in front of the new install...or elsewhere on the console, top later on.

Profile Personal album  

Cash on hand:
510.75 Points

Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:23 am 
could you also relocate the fuel fill to the side of the console. just along the same side of the console as it already is, just on the side instead of the top. that would clear up a lot of space for you.

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
3,055.30 Points

Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:28 am 
Ben,

All things being equal I would agree with Scott on the front and center location but I would ponder a couple items as considerations before deciding..

1) The Garmin unit you are installing is much larger than the one you have so would it could obscure your vision of the water when driving the boat. This was one of my leading factors to having mine off to the side on my boat. I do most of my driving from a sitting position and they could be in my way all the time so depending on how you drive I would check, I would hate to have to look around the unit all the time to see the water in front of your bow.

2) Do you do much driving in low light (early morning or at night). Even at the lowest setting with the unit in your line of sight to the water it will impact your night vision due to the size of the screen and proximity to where you will be looking. Again, line it up and see.. It does not take much light to impact or obscure your night-vision.

3) Replacing your existing unit with the new one will make a cleaner install.. The new Garmin bail mounts have wire tracks underneath them so you do not have to use a clam-shell to hide the holes for the wires assuming you can put the mount over the wire access holes.

4) I would wire your NMEA cable to the unit while you install it regardless of location so when you decide to do the NMEA network you don't have to mess with the Garmin mounting.

Finally, you will be able to get rid of the external GPS antenna.. The Garmin unit works great with the internal one. Keep the space on your helm for a VHF with is safety must have for the water and should be on your short list for upgrades as a cell phone is not a replacement.

Hope that helps..

b

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
202,903.70 Points

Bank:
70,764,190.35 Points

Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:44 am 
Some good suggestions above the best being moving the fuel fill to another location on the console. Examining the photo of your console I'm going to suggest something that is going to complicate your dilemma. I don't see a compass and I highly recommend that you install one. IMO the compass is the single most important instrument on the boat.

12/25/11

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
3,055.30 Points

Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:03 pm 
Blue Agave wrote:
Some good suggestions above the best being moving the fuel fill to another location on the console. Examining the photo of your console I'm going to suggest something that is going to complicate your dilemma. I don't see a compass and I highly recommend that you install one. IMO the compass is the single most important instrument on the boat.

Good call Fernando.. Remove the GPS antenna and install a compass (assuming there is no metal within the interference zone) Like the beercans in his tagline pic! sFi_wwe

b

Cash on hand:
230.05 Points

Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:11 pm 
Hey Guys!

Thanks for all of the input. I should probably mention that I have a leaning post behind the console now instead of my old cooler seat. So in that regard, I am usually leaning or standing while driving. No issues with seeing around a screen if it is centered. I'm still coming from the viewpoint of navigating around a lake in Tennessee, so I used to go out around sunrise and after dark all of the time. However, I don't see myself doing much of any navigating after dark on the Gulf. I don't believe blinding my night vision will be too critical for South Florida. I do like the idea of a compass installed on the console as well for safety. However, the OCD side of me would only want a compass centered on the console where the center cup holder is now. I could eliminate the cupholder, installed a compass centered in its place, then install the Garmin to the right side of the compass(it would occupy the space of the right side cupholder and my current GPS). I usually sit to the starboard side of the console anyway due to the throttle being on that side and if another person is sitting on the port side of the leaning post with me.

I could remove the external GPS antenna and try to move the gas fill to the side of the console (there is a stereo speaker on that side of the console as well). Would you guys just put a piece of starboard up there to cover those two holes?

I do want to get a VHF radio mounted below the radio very soon, as I agree with you in terms of a cell phone not being a safe means of rescue.

The eventual plan is to get either a T-top or a half-tower integrated into a T-top. So I don't know what antenna I could purchase and mount for the VHF until the time I get a T-top and mount it on top of the T-top. Is there an antenna that would be good for now and that could be mounted onto a T-top down the road?

Thanks,
Ben

1974 Aquasport 22-2
2001 Yamaha 150 HPDI
Owens & Sons Trailer

Profile Personal album  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jump to: