FIND US ON FACEBOOK     Friends of the ABC     CLUB CHAT ROOM AND LOUNGE     VIEW ACTIVE TOPICS     ABC CLUB STICKERS 

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:32 pm
Portal » Board index » Aquasport Discussion!

Author
Search for:

Cash on hand:
85.00 Points

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:03 pm 
I am going to be looking at this boat this weekend. If I buy it it will be my first ever boat. Looking for one that will be good in the bay and in the pass. It is either a 95 or 96 owner has to look at the title to verify.

Does anyone know the model of this boat or can tell me anything about this model? It is a 3 hour drive so I was looking to get some info about the brand. I need to ask the owner but by the pics I don't see any gauges tach, fuel ect. Would they not come from the factory with the gauges?

Being my first boat is there anything I really need to pay attention to when looking at it? Going by the pics it looks to be in nice shape. Owner said he has the service records for the engine and all the carbs have just been rebuilt. Also has a tower and a Bimini top for it. Asking $6,000 trailer is a all aluminum 2013

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
2,633,296.50 Points

Bank:
9,791,707.00 Points

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:27 pm 
I would say that is a 96 model 200 Osprey (19'6"). You can tell the year by looking at the HIN (Hull Identification Number) located on the starboard side of the transom just above the lifting eye. The last two digits of the HIN are the year of the hull. The engine should have a date of MFG on the tag on the port side of the engine bracket. Remember the engines are built before the hull so it is common to see a 95 engine on a 96 hull. The boat should have full set of gauges, you just can't see them in the pics. Depending on the year it may have a System check gauge or a tach with a the system check lights. This is a set of four red warning lights that tell you if the engine is out of oil, overheating etc. They normally do not have an engine hours gauge so determining engine hours is not easy.

Speaking of the engine, I'd run it and make sure it shifts OK. Even better is if you can take her out for a sea trail. These motors do smoke a good bit when you first start them. This is normal. I'd do a compression check. You should be in the 95-100 psi range the actual number is not as important as that they all are within about 10% of each other. Check the steering to make sure the cable is not bound up.

You want to check the deck for soft spots indicating water intrusion into the deck causing rot of the wooden core. The best way to do this is walk on the deck in your bare feet. This year model has plywood in the transom. To check that for rot tilt the motor way up and have a big buddy pull up and down on the motor... HARD while you look across the back of the transom looking for flex. You can also rap on the back of the transom with a hard plastic hammer and listen for a "dead" sounding spot. Also look for excessive spider cracks in the corners indicating flexing. Some spider cracks in the gel is normal for a hull of this age.

The trailer looks really nice. If you have a three hour tow I'd make sure the tires are good and the hubs and bearings are in good condition. If the trailer has posi lube axles I'd give them a shot of grease with a grease gun. You can jack up the trailer and spin each tire and check for excessive play in the bearings.

Edit: The stringers are foam filled composite and shouldn't need any attention.

1987 170 Osprey Striper

"We do NOT want socialized medicine" - Ronald Reagan

Last edited by wingtime on Mon May 15, 2017 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Profile Personal album  

Site Admin

Cash on hand:
2,013,680.00 Points

Bank:
48,320,404.30 Points

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:44 pm 
The 200 Osprey is a great all around boat, inshore or offshore'

Follow Wingtime's advice on checking her over

Profile Personal album WWW  

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
10,769.25 Points

Bank:
2,596.45 Points

Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:13 pm 
Bruce seemed to covert everything. let us know how you make out

1986 19'6 aquasport-___/\___ 1972 14ft Dargel Scooter-___/\___ 1982 1800 Hydrasports-

Profile Personal album  

Cash on hand:
85.00 Points

Post Posted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:14 am 
Couple more pics

Cash on hand:
335.40 Points

Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2017 7:50 am 
^^^^What they said.

No bottom paint is a good thing.

The trailer alone is worth at least $1,000.

I would definitely do a compression test. You are looking for 90+ psi with less than 10% variance between cylinders. That is a Johnson V6 which tend to leak fuel out of the carb bowls. Believe it or not this is normal. You can see where the paint is missing on the lower unit. Just make sure its not leaking excessively.

If you are interested get it on the water and run it.

A motor can idle and sound fine on the trailer. The only way to know is the motor is good is by a sea trial.

Run the motor at all rpm ranges. Shut it down wait a few minutes and restart.

The tach needle seems to be at 2,500 rpms. Make sure the tach doesn't bounce all over the place while running. This could indicate a bad rectifier.

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
2,633,296.50 Points

Bank:
9,791,707.00 Points

Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:50 pm 
ralph50 wrote:
That is a Johnson V6 which tend to leak fuel out of the carb bowls. Believe it or not this is normal.

Usually lots of gooey oil if they have been sitting and the fuel as evaporated.

If you buy the boat unless the seller has documented service history, be sure to service everything on the motor so you start off with a clean sheet. This includes cleaning the carbs, water pump, thermostats, spark plugs, lower unit oil, filters, primer bulb etc.

1987 170 Osprey Striper

"We do NOT want socialized medicine" - Ronald Reagan

Profile Personal album  

Jump to: