FIND US ON FACEBOOK     Friends of the ABC     CLUB CHAT ROOM AND LOUNGE     VIEW ACTIVE TOPICS     ABC CLUB STICKERS 

It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:01 am
Portal » Board index » Aquasport Discussion!

Author
Search for:
2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
395.60 Points

Post Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:18 pm 
Hey guys!

I just spent 3 days down in the Tavernier area with my boat and family members... Had anywhere from 4 to 7 people on the boat and did most of my running bayside due to wind and choppy seas. First off I'm happy I had no mechanical issues and was able to burn off about 50 gallons and a gallon of oil. Everything worked minus a the backlighting on 3 of my guages which was noticed on our night run from Key Largo to Tavernier. I even figured out the the Lowrance good enough to follow the channels. OK... Two observations:

1) When the boat is fully loaded and I'm only seeing 3 feet and change on the depth finder I'm a bit nervous about how long it takes to plane the boat off (engine trim down, trim tabs up).

2) Once she's planed off, it's a constant battle to keep the bow level (starboard/port) lean angles with different power settings and people moving around. I read the thread about proper use of boat trim (Use very short stab adjustments and wait for the result) but to me the boat feels very top heavy at times and I've had to back off the throttle for fear of capsizing or throwing someone out due to the crazy lean angles... When fully loaded is when I noticed it most. With just two or three in the boat much less.
Also, when fully loaded I could not find a comfortable power setting/trim setting in heavy chop to keep the engine from laboring (4000 rpm) and the boat plowing through the waves with spray drenching everyone. I was trying to get a low-speed plane-off that would be managable without breaking backs or the boat and really could not find that balance. sSc_help

Questions:

1) Would a Doel Fin (on the lower unit) help raise the stern to plane off quicker and possibly help stabilize the boat side to side (lean) so I wouldn't have to lower the trim tabs all the way in order to plane off in shallow water? Starting with full down trim makes it difficult to remove that trim without tilting the boat one way or another, plus I don't have any gauges that tell me what position they're in.

2) More expensive option would be to try a prop with a lower pitch and maybe a four blade one to get the hole shot and lift the stern without having to use the trim tabs... Also, I think the boat is over-propped just a bit... Turning about 5200 rpm and 37mph at WOT when fully loaded... I can eek about 41mph on a light load (Johnson 250hp).

Thoughts on this? Thanks!!! :605_thumbs_up:

Profile Personal album  

Site Admin

Cash on hand:
2,013,660.00 Points

Bank:
48,320,404.30 Points

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:07 pm 
Having a 225, even though it's an explorer (same hull) I have run into alot of what you have said over the years and learned from it.

First off seven people is just way to many and 90% of your problems, just to much weight especially if most are sitting in the back, I won't put more the five in mine anymore, I try to stay at four.

I had seven in my boat once and made half of them sit in the cabin to adjust for what your feeling, also that top heavy fell you get, first these boat are a little top heavy to start with, mine more then yours, then when waves are hitting you from the side and smacking into that deep v it's almost making the boat want to turn itself when the wave hits the v then your stern sinks into the troff behind it, weight really exaggerates that feel.

I think another prop may help you out some on hole shot and top end,your #'s do seem low, (I was getting 40.7 with my old 200 hp two people and a full tank of gas) but a doel fin is a waste of money (been there) your boat just has certain characteristics your going to have to get used to, hell I still get that heavy tippy feeling in mine sometimes, that's when I remind myself I've had this boat 20 years and it's never tipped yet.

Profile Personal album WWW  

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
2,633,266.45 Points

Bank:
9,791,707.00 Points

Post Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:12 pm 
Keep in mind your max load is 8 people or 1200 lbs including gear, water, etc. Odds are you are running way overloaded. A Dolefin will not help with hole shot. Also it will make your lateral stability worse (think of a side to side teeter totter with the dolefin as the fulcrum).

Remember one prop may not be a good all around prop for your use. You may need to carry a second lower pitch prop for days you have a heavy load. Think of a prop as a rear end gear in a car. A good gear for highway use is no good for towing.

Also keep in mind overloading your boat can result in it rolling turtle with out warning. The boat is unstable with that load and that is why your having trouble controlling it and it's rolling side to side.

1987 170 Osprey Striper

"We do NOT want socialized medicine" - Ronald Reagan

Profile Personal album  

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
395.60 Points

Post Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:44 am 
Yeah, for now I'm just going to keep learning my boat and maybe pick up a 4 blade lower pitch aluminum prop for shallow water running, which is what I do in Cedar Key for a week at a time once per year... Lot's of oyster bars, shoals and huge tide changes over there...

Thanks for the input!

Profile Personal album  

Cash on hand:
1,160.80 Points

Post Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:14 am 
Doel fin does not generally work well on Aquasport outboards. If the motor is at the correct height, the fin will be in and out of water when underway - that results in terrible handling and sometimes severe porpoising. Motor trim and trim tabs can help with handling issues, but also make sure your motor is at the right height on the transom.

Jump to: