FIND US ON FACEBOOK     Friends of the ABC     CLUB CHAT ROOM AND LOUNGE     VIEW ACTIVE TOPICS     ABC CLUB STICKERS 

It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:59 am
Portal » Board index » Aquasport Discussion!

Author
Search for:
Site Admin

Cash on hand:
2,013,720.05 Points

Bank:
48,320,404.30 Points

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:04 pm 
ceejkay wrote:
whats the draft on that thing floating 5-6"?

Floating motor up about 5 with my big ass in the boat, I walked it over a bar Sat that was maybe 3 and it floated no problem, if I remember right, because for some reason mine doesn't have a capacity plate the boat was rated for 25 man or 30 remote

Profile Personal album WWW  

2016 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
819.70 Points

Post Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:31 am 
Not sure how it started for me. Lots of childhood memories on the boats of family members on the Chesapeake Bay, various lakes in Northern PA, etc.

Worked at a small hardware store on the edge of the Delaware River in PA for 7 years or so through high school and community college. And we supplied alot of hardware, boat paint, etc to local marinas and boaters. And through that, I swore I'd never own a boat. Never heard so much belly aching from grumpy old men in my life.

Marriage, family, a canoe, and seemingly endless boat rentals with every vacation. With that, I made the decision to buy one and call our own. Now, I'm one of those belly aching grumpy old men. sAng_scream

:laugh:

Profile Personal album  

Yoda

Cash on hand:
16,591.45 Points

Bank:
46,928,565.35 Points

Post Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:47 am 
As has been said, Ray. A boat is "a hole in the water that you throw money into".

Noah was the original grumpy old man...

My little project...

Profile Personal album  

Cash on hand:
540.45 Points

Post Posted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:31 am 
I used to paddle around in a mortar box sitting on a milk crate in a little pond near our house. One day I swamped the thing and got soaked from head to toe. When my father asked me what the hell happened I said, "I went in over my boots a little".

Profile Personal album  

Cash on hand:
3,405.35 Points

Post Posted: Thu May 29, 2014 8:52 pm 
For me it all started back in 19&52. When I caught my first dad gum fish and its been a spot I just can’t scratch enough sSc_help . Started fishing with my two uncles, (who were a bab influence on me) on a rental boat and a 5½ hp sea king motor with an built on gas tank and a 5 gal gas can. You talk about a mess if you forgot the funnel and it was a little rough. it’s a wonder we didn’t blow our self’s up some times sSc_eek . Soooooo a boat became a love of mine. Since I needed one to get to where the good fishing was. But rental boats were in the cards for a long time. I fell in love with the first Aquasport I saw, not to long after I got out of the army in 19&69 :jail: . A good friend had got a 17 footer as soon as the dealer got the first ones in. been in love with them ever since sHa-shakeshout . Like I said , an itch I just can't scratch. Now I have two and if my wife wasn’t looking sSa_cry4 I would have two more. The way I figure it. You mite as well have a complete set. sCo_hmmthink :mrgreen:

Profile Personal album  

2013 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
1,436.90 Points

Post Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:16 pm 
I liked this thread but kept forgetting to post. My dad had a boat for a short time when I was young but I don't think I ever thought about owning my own boat. What really started me was when my family my family went on a camping trip to Cherry Stone camp grounds in Virginia. During this trip, my friend took me on his 14ft aluminum boat to catch croakers in the Chesepeke Bay. I absolutely fell in love with being on the water. By the start of the next summer, I owned a boat of my own. The rest is history. It's amazing how that little boat powered by an electric tolling motor has graduated to a 23 foot walkaround with a 225hp outboard. So that's my story.

Profile Personal album  

2012 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
2,115.80 Points

Bank:
57,603.85 Points

Post Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:52 pm 
My first boat was also an inflatable that I had when I was probably 7. My dad made that thing do everything. From pulling it like a tube, to paddling it like a canoe, to having me stand on it like a surfboard.

Come to think of it... What a cheap ass.

First real boat was this gigantic pile of crap. Which, when I asked my mom for a picture of it, she responded with, "That big hunk of crop." My dad wasn't a fisherman, in fact, I was raised vegetarian (which is why I ask stupid questions about fishing, I'm sure), so why we had this was just odd. I think he planned on going camping with it, then realizing it was too small to really do that, lost interest. My dream was to sneak out there one night with a girl, but alas, I remained a virgin for the entire time we had...

Our's was in better condition when we sold it, but that could have been because it was 15 years ago too... This boat, which constantly needed maintenance (not being maintained coupled with a cheap ass was a recipe for disaster...) pretty much stained my dad's thought process of boats. His only other experiences were when he was a kid on the shore of Maryland, and his dad was doing all the maintenance. So we went boatless for a little while, until my mom and I convinced him to get another boat. Even though new boats were still 15k, he was destined to not spend a dime more than $3,000, figuring that was about $1,200 more than the first Bayliner, the second Bayliner, a bowrider Capri this time, which was bought with a engine problem, was destined to be an epic success. :rolleyes: So anyway, we like took the whole motor apart cleaning the cooling system (this was a 90hp Force) to get it to not overheat. This worked. But I think it ended up being the $10 switch, not the 3 days of cleaning off microscopic particles of corrosion. So, we kept this one for a couple years. It was a good time. I think my wife was actually out on that boat (15 years ago) but she denies it. I should have mentioned that between these two rustic piles of s**t, there was a Seadoo SP, which, actually, made me the quality swimmer that I am today, as I pushed it back to the dock more than drove it.

Where was I? Oh, something like this.Image

That definitely isn't me, and that Aerostar was definitely not used for towing everything from the boats to a 4,000 lb cargo trailer, in the mountains... That was made out of solid 3/4" plywood. While we're talking about things that didn't happen, I continued my streak, and also began pulling this new'er' boat with the Formula, which was a way better idea than the Aerostar. I REALLY wish I had pictures of that.

So after this fun filled adventure, the Capri also went. And about 8-9 years later, I had about $1500 available balance on a credit card, and I was like, "I'm going to use Paypal, get some cash back, and go buy the cheapest boat I can find that runs. Which, was this. Image

It was $1,300. And it ran. For like an entire year. It ran so bad, I never did ANYTHING to it. It eventually couldn't continue and needed a head gasket (complete rebuild), reverse gear stuff, pin locks, I don't even know, a whole bunch of crap, and since it was so cheap, I played it on for $500, and called it a wash. We had like 9 people on that thing (most kids) and it was fun. I swore that when I got a better job, I'd buy a NICE boat (one that was more than $2,000) and that was when I got the Aquasport.

I hope this was as entertaining of a read, as it was to type. Mom's looking for pics of the ski and the "crop."

SEABOB4's Minion #2

Cash on hand:
1,235.80 Points

Post Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:25 pm 
nice formula. my first car was a 93. looking at the wheels, thats a 95-97.

2012 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
2,115.80 Points

Bank:
57,603.85 Points

Post Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:41 pm 
It was a '97. Had I known more about cars, I would have paid the extra for the '98 that was next to it for $4,000 more.

SEABOB4's Minion #2

Site Admin

Cash on hand:
2,013,720.05 Points

Bank:
48,320,404.30 Points

Post Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:52 pm 
Great post Carl :605_thumbs_up:

Profile Personal album WWW  

Cash on hand:
415.40 Points

Post Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:19 pm 
Haven't been to this site in a while. Saw this post and had to add my story to it.
I grew up in Orlando and fishing and skiing was part of our lives. Alway had a wet swimsuit hanging in the bathroom. We always has boats, from an early '60's Correct Craft, a glitterbug speedboat with a Merc straight 6 and a brass 2-blade prop to a John Allman sportfisher. Then came the Aquasports! First one was an early 70's 19, then an 80's 170. Also had a 230, a 210 and a 200. Still have the 200.
In 1999 I met my wife and fell in love. Turns out FIL was prez of Aquasport for 30 some years! He resigned when AS moved from Hialeah to Sarasota. He went on to help get Angler Boats off the ground. Ever wonder why early Anglers looked just like Aquasports? Now you know.

'93 230 twin Yami 130's Sold

Profile Personal album  

Yoda

Cash on hand:
16,591.45 Points

Bank:
46,928,565.35 Points

Post Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:12 pm 
Aquasportfisher, I too spent a goodly time in Orlando ('81-'94), early 20s, my buddy had a '82 Nautique 2001 model, 460 PCM. We dragged that thing all over town in search of the best skiing...Ivanhoe and the Winter Park chain, Butler chain, Lake Conway, even big and east lake Toho. Awesome boat to be dragged behind. And since I rented a place off Oak Ridge, not too far from Pinecastle, the CC plant was pretty close.

He also had this beat up old Chris 26 Catalina that we used as a mother boat when we went out on east lake (he lived off Boggy Creek Rd.)...that made for some fun weekends!!! sHa-shakeshout sHa-shakeshout

My little project...

Profile Personal album  

Cash on hand:
415.40 Points

Post Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:40 pm 
Bob C- I'm Bob T. If a lake had a slalom course anywhere near O-Town, we skiied it. The Glitterbug boat I mentioned in my last post was our tow boat for a while. 16' V hull that weighed 700 lbs. had that Merc Tower of Power that was race prepped. No problem getting my big ass outta the hole. When running thru the buoys, as I made my cut, I had extra slack to make up 'cause I'd pull the transom sideways 2 feet! You could hear the prop slip as I layed into a buoy. Good times for sure!
My grandparents bough a house on Lake Holden ( East of OBT and I4) just so we had a place to ski.

'93 230 twin Yami 130's Sold

Profile Personal album  

Yoda

Cash on hand:
16,591.45 Points

Bank:
46,928,565.35 Points

Post Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:11 pm 
Yeah, I know Lake Holden. My good buddy at Martin bought a place on Conway off of Hoffner, that little strip in between Lake Conway and Little Lake Conway. His Dad owned an aircraft engine rebuilding company at Herndon, so my buddy had some $$. Yanked us around behind an old Sea Ray I/O...

Have to admit, O-Town was a great place to be a young 20-something back then. Not so much now. I still get over there quite a bit (our bank is Fairwinds Credit Union), just way too much traffic and a lot of change...and not much of it for the better.

You'd probably enjoy this blog on Yelp, I've been on there a few years...http://www.yelp.com/topic/orlando-weird ... re-extinct" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Lots of good reading, I'm sure you could add to it!

And great to have another Bob!! :605_thumbs_up: :605_thumbs_up:

My little project...

Profile Personal album  

Cash on hand:
770.70 Points

Post Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:37 pm 
I went from striper fishing the Saco River and surrounding inshore islands and flats up in Maine with a 16 Lowe Semi -V Hull Jon Boat...to the 2002 Osprey. We needed something that we could take out in seas greater then 1 foot. Have learned a lot about this boat with all your help. Still have the Jon but it's a duck/bass boat now....

Jump to: