FIND US ON FACEBOOK     Friends of the ABC     CLUB CHAT ROOM AND LOUNGE     VIEW ACTIVE TOPICS     ABC CLUB STICKERS 

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:23 am
Portal » Board index » Engines

Author
Search for:

Cash on hand:
315.35 Points

Post Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:56 pm 
Hi guys,

I'm looking into replacing my old stock destroyer style steering wheel sCo_hmmthink and need to know if typically the new style 3 spoke stainless wheels will fit my steering hub. I have a 3/4" shaft and by the looks of it I don't think the new style 3 spoke wheels will fit this hub very well. It seems to me that if the new wheel had the 3/4" hole for the shaft it would tighten down correctly as the steering shaft has a couple of inches or so. I'm probably not explaining this correctly...my destroyer wheel has a hub in the center that slides onto the shaft by a couple of inches or so where the center of the new style wheels are not that thick.

I found a nice destroyer style replacement with a suicide knob that I like and will probably go with that but wanted to ask the experts! :ugeek:

Thanks for your input! :605_thumbs_up:

Happy Thanksgiving!! :beermugl:

Jon

Twin '88 Johnson 70's
'02 Tahoe 5.3L

Profile Personal album  

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
3,055.30 Points

Post Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:05 am 
Most shafts are tapered with a key and are standard. What type / brand of helm do you have?

B

Cash on hand:
1,175.80 Points

Post Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:52 am 
You just need to be sure you have the same thread/taper pattern. Most are either 5/8-18 or 1/2-20. Take the nut off the current one and check the size/thread.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boat-Stainless- ... f7&vxp=mtr

Cash on hand:
315.35 Points

Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:21 pm 
Well, I pulled the trigger on a stainless destroyer type wheel with a knob. This was a 50TH birthday present to myself with some of the money I collected from friends and family. Turning fifty sucked but cash is king!
I've fitted the wheel and it is superb! What a difference! I'm really looking forward to wheeling the boat around some. We are planning to go crappie fishing in the next couple of weeks so I am excited about that trip!

I do have one other question for anyone with expertise with teleflex steering systems (cable). I have a 3/4" tapered shaft that is keyed. When I put the wheel on the suicide knob is not really where I would like to have it. It there a way to change that by an adjustment or something? It may just be what it is and I will live with it. Still a great upgrade for us on Lillypad!

Thanks!

Merry Christmas!!

Jon and Rhonda!

Twin '88 Johnson 70's
'02 Tahoe 5.3L

Profile Personal album  

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
3,780.55 Points

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:40 am 
Jon, I have had those heads apart three times on different boats and as long as the fasteners aren't frozen it is straight forward. The big thing that I remember is that one one of the units the helm shaft had a nut on it that went through the back of the case. Because I was not turning the shaft I didn't notice and it almost ended in an expensive mistake. The othre key is the over run tube for the cable. On one type it does not have to come off, the other it does. Look closely around the extension where the tube nut is and look for a seam, if you don't see one, look closer.. sAng_scream .. Mark where you want the key to end up on the case before you start and if you can, brace the motor so you don't swing it around while you're yarding the helm out..

Frigging grease is gonna get everywhere.. It is not under pressure but it is loaded.. On the Whaler, 3mount bolts has it out, then 4 self tappers and the tube nut off has the thing in pieces with grease behind my ears and I swear I never touched my head.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ...

Have fun!!

88 222 Osprey
00 Yamaha OX66 150

Profile Personal album  

Cash on hand:
315.35 Points

Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:14 pm 
dburr wrote:
Jon, I have had those heads apart three times on different boats and as long as the fasteners aren't frozen it is straight forward. The big thing that I remember is that one one of the units the helm shaft had a nut on it that went through the back of the case. Because I was not turning the shaft I didn't notice and it almost ended in an expensive mistake. The othre key is the over run tube for the cable. On one type it does not have to come off, the other it does. Look closely around the extension where the tube nut is and look for a seam, if you don't see one, look closer.. sAng_scream .. Mark where you want the key to end up on the case before you start and if you can, brace the motor so you don't swing it around while you're yarding the helm out..

Frigging grease is gonna get everywhere.. It is not under pressure but it is loaded.. On the Whaler, 3mount bolts has it out, then 4 self tappers and the tube nut off has the thing in pieces with grease behind my ears and I swear I never touched my head.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ...

Have fun!!

Wow, thanks, Dave!

Sounds like a messy job! I'll take a much closer look at my application and see what I have.

Twin '88 Johnson 70's
'02 Tahoe 5.3L

Profile Personal album  

Jump to: