FIND US ON FACEBOOK     Friends of the ABC     CLUB CHAT ROOM AND LOUNGE     VIEW ACTIVE TOPICS     ABC CLUB STICKERS 

It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:58 am
Portal » Board index » Engines

Author
Search for:
2015 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
345.60 Points

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:05 am 
Posted this on the other AS forum but thought this one was more suited.

Wanted to get some input on my re-power. I had a BF250 Tohatsu (Honda) installed and it seems too low on the transom to me. Was hoping to get your input.

Lower unit has 3 horizontal planes/fins and I dont know where the ideal height should be or which fin? It is measured off the swim deck/transom or bottom of the hull? Dealer says its where it should be and could very well right? If I need to adjust it the dealer is over 2 hours away so not easy to run the boat in the shop.

When sitting in the water the upper exhaust ports are about 6-7" about the water line. when on a plane it obviously increases.

Thanks

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile Personal album  

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
3,055.30 Points

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:55 pm 
Congratulations on the re-power. IIRC there are some standard measurements related to the approximate mounting height but I would have to search again.. maybe someone here can provide. From your pictures it looks close with my eye in that the top of the anti-cavitation plate is near the bottom of the euro-transom and end of the hull. Each motor is a little different and the only way to tell for sure it to water test it. Conventional wisdom is that the anti-cave plate should be just above the water line at or near full throttle when trimmed to the sweet spot. Again, each motor will have its preference.. My Zuke likes to be mounted lower than other 300s as an example.

Here is a pic of an Osprey with the factory mounted 225 from the back. Note the height of the anti-cav plate in relation to the bottom of the euro and hull:

b

2015 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
345.60 Points

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:28 pm 
Thanks for your reply. I will have someone with me next time and see where the anti-cavitation plate sits at full throttle. From your picture mine looks very close to the same height. Maybe its just my paranoia but the engine seems to sit lower. By that I mean the exhaust ports are much closer to the water line then my Mercury. Apples and Oranges I know but appreciate others 2 cents.
While its likely irrelevant here is another close up on the transom.

Some performance numbers
Prop 15X17
WOT 42 knots at 6200 RPM
Cruises very well in the 3700-4000 RPM, 20-24 knots 6.7 to 7.8 GPH

Oh, and your picture has motivated me to finish removing the failing bottom paint from the previous owner. Never said this before, but I like your transom.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile Personal album  

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
3,055.30 Points

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:58 am 
Thanks.. your performance numbers seem great, 42knts is pushing 50 mph (48 and change) so that seems good. Not sure what the operating WOT range for that motor but 6200 is screaming. Test the boat at normal cruise speeds in a head and following sea. If you don't have any porp cavitation making way or during turns I'd say you are dialed in. Next step is to enjoy!

Ps- That motor (Honda) is fairly heavy related to other 250s and certaily heavier than the stock two strokes our hulls were designed for. The lower atttude may also be due to the weight difference. Do your through-hulls at the stern sit any lower in the water. Mine do, although still well above the water line.

Again, congrats!

B

Site Admin

Cash on hand:
2,013,645.00 Points

Bank:
48,320,404.30 Points

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:35 pm 
Congrats on the new motor, I just re powered my Explorer with an 225 Etec and looks like i'm going to have to raise the motor a hole.

This is were it's mounted now, same hole as the old motor, Bruce I see from your pic yours was mounted in the third hole which is were I'm going to move this one.

Profile Personal album WWW  

Site Admin

Cash on hand:
2,013,645.00 Points

Bank:
48,320,404.30 Points

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:40 pm 
How she's running
youtu.be Video from : youtu.be

Profile Personal album WWW  

Jump to: