FIND US ON FACEBOOK     Friends of the ABC     CLUB CHAT ROOM AND LOUNGE     VIEW ACTIVE TOPICS     ABC CLUB STICKERS 

It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:51 pm
Portal » Board index » Gatherings And Get Togethers

Author
Search for:

Cash on hand:
510.75 Points

Post Posted: Tue May 17, 2016 12:19 pm 
didn't want to take away from the Scallop thread so I figured I would start a new Lobster Season thread.

Scott- went to Islamorada last "regular season" and stayed at La Siesta, got there the day before it opened and stayed for 4 days- it was strangely like a ghost town on the water- only saw a few boats each day. did pretty good getting near limits, but all were very small. and lots of antennas on the floor in front of where we found our bugs.

I haven't been to mini-season in probably close to 20 years, but I remember its a zoo. staying at La Jolla this year and hope to bag some lobsters in the morning on the bay and then head out for some trolling and get a mahi or something.

last time I stayed at Marathon, we stayed at Boatsman's Sombrero Resort,,,, would NOT recommend it (that resort) based on that experience.

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
2,633,106.40 Points

Bank:
9,791,707.00 Points

Post Posted: Tue May 17, 2016 12:53 pm 
Glad you started another thread. Lobstering is something I have yet to try. I guess it is something I need to do soon!

1987 170 Osprey Striper
"We do NOT want socialized medicine" - Ronald Reagan

Cash on hand:
510.75 Points

Post Posted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:08 pm 
anyone else from the area going?

Site Admin

Cash on hand:
2,013,519.70 Points

Bank:
48,320,404.30 Points

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post Posted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:06 pm 
Glad you started a thread for this :605_thumbs_up:

Actually last year was my absolute worst and I've been going down there for 16 years straight, alot of shorts but we had a good time, I talked to a guy from Mote Marine about it and he said it all has to do with the tides and currents and that most of the Keys lobster come from eggs released in the Bahamas's.

wingtime wrote:
Lobstering is something I have yet to try. I guess it is something I need to do soon!
If I need to talk to your boss to give you the time off I will :1121_wink:

Profile Personal album WWW  

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
2,633,106.40 Points

Bank:
9,791,707.00 Points

Post Posted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:11 pm 
Scott wrote:
wingtime wrote:
Lobstering is something I have yet to try. I guess it is something I need to do soon!
If I need to talk to your boss to give you the time off I will :1121_wink:

I'll give you Amy's phone number! :rolleyes:

1987 170 Osprey Striper
"We do NOT want socialized medicine" - Ronald Reagan

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
10,744.25 Points

Bank:
2,596.45 Points

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:17 pm 
i hit a few spots in lauderdale this year during reg season. not nearly abundant as i remember.

1986 19'6 aquasport-___/\___ 1972 14ft Dargel Scooter-___/\___ 1982 1800 Hydrasports-

Profile Personal album  

Cash on hand:
510.75 Points

Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:01 pm 
definitely tough this year. Found a cooler full, but a boat of 6 never limited out.

Our scouting dive on Tuesday looked promising as we marked several new spots that held several dozen keeper size bugs. Waking Wednesday morning to a heck of a lightning storm and a terrified crew who wanted to wait it out (a wise choice)... we finally got on the water around 730 and found 3 boats within 20 yards of the spots we planned to go to. By the time we got in the water a little way up from them and found some- one of the people with me sliced open her foot kicking the prop as she was climbing up the swim platform. Dropped her off at the dock so they could go to the Dr to get stitched up, ate some lunch at Robbies, where my wife got food poisoning and immediately started thowing up before the check was even printed, and day 1 was pretty much a disaster.

Thursday was much better, everyone healthy and no injuries (yet) as we headed north towards Key Largo instead of south. Found a much better area to try (never been to this area before for lobstering) and got a healthy supply of lobsters in the livewell. In my rush of driving the boat from the tower to spot good places, and also being the quickest one to get gear on and into the water, I forgot my gloves on one of my dives... finding the biggest lobster of the trip, it bit the crap out of my finger while I was measuring it, literally took a chunk out of my hand.

Back at the resort (stayed at La Jolla), we found a fun group at the grill and cooked some lobster and tri-tip steaks my brother-inlaw brought from Nebraska... FEAST!

last day my wife and I got some small shrimp from the marinas and caught probably 20 snapper and scouted a bunch of good ledges for next year.

read a bunch of other forums where this year was the toughest in probably 10 years, but everything in the gulf seems slow this year (no mahi, tuna, pelagic fish really of great abundance around).

Couldn't help but notice- going to the marina right up from Bass Pro, the Bass Pro Marina, and Bud and Mary's,,, all the guys working there were either miserable or complete jerks. Heard it from a few other people staying at La Jolla and thought they were joking, but then experienced it first hand at each place... not good for a tough economy/bad lobster season/hopes of return customers.

Jump to: