FIND US ON FACEBOOK     Friends of the ABC     CLUB CHAT ROOM AND LOUNGE     VIEW ACTIVE TOPICS     ABC CLUB STICKERS 

It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:32 am
Portal » Board index » Gatherings And Get Togethers

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
Author
Search for:
Site Admin

Cash on hand:
2,013,645.00 Points

Bank:
48,320,404.30 Points

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post Posted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:04 pm 
We made it home sHa_clap2 that was the snottiest weather I have been out in in a long time, it was blowing a solid 25 with higher gusts and 3-4 ft chop to go with it, then add a bunch of boat wakes from every direction :2261_high: , I'm going to get some dinner and recharge myself a bit then I will be back with the whole story and pics, stay tuned.

Profile Personal album WWW  

Cash on hand:
4,415.20 Points

Post Posted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:42 pm 
man was it windy!!! E or W side of egmont, didnt matter, it was rough... when i was leaving the marina, i almost turned around to go get the contender, i left the dock around 630-7 ish and strong E wind. i fished a little bit, caught a nice keeper trout. met up with scott around 1030. everyone else showed up a around noon. we all moved to the E side in hopes of the wind switch being flipped(guess that guy took today off)... hung out till about 2, both bruce's, nando, and i, moved to the N side of ft Desoto inside bunces pass. much nicer there!! i left around 445 ish, got back to the marina around 530, and one of my customers comes up and says, "you want some snapper?" not a bad day....
sSig_tablet2

inside bunces pass...

and some dinner

1993 Aquasport 210 Explorer(SOLD)
1991 Fountain 31TE

2004 F250 Lariat 4x4 6.0L Powerstroke with a bunch of stuff

Yoda

Cash on hand:
16,591.45 Points

Bank:
46,928,565.35 Points

Post Posted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:53 pm 
Well Nando (Crocodile Dundee) showed up...excellent! My Spectre customer didn't show up today, was supposed to be here around 2. Talked to Scott, he hadn't called. Finally get a hold of him around 2:30...something came up. Well, so did his bill by $150 and I haven't even started on his boat. He agreed...and apologized. Knew he cost me an outing, but some people are just a bit inconsiderate...

My little project...

Profile Personal album  

Site Admin

Cash on hand:
2,013,645.00 Points

Bank:
48,320,404.30 Points

Post Posted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:39 pm 
Wow Aaron it does look nice over there, these guys all went to the pass to get out of the wind and I just didn't want to chance going any farther North, the wind was already bad but seemed to be increasing at the time so I headed back south, fished a flat for awhile the headed to Sands Point for a swim.

It was great meeting everybody, I love how you never met someone in person but the minute you do, instant friends, how can you beat that, we really do have a great group here and I'm just honored to be apart of it.

I didn't get to take many pics with the weather but here are some I did take.
ImageImageImageImage

And when I got home I found these in the mail box

Thanks Corey there great, using one right now actually, you guys need to get some of these.

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
10,769.25 Points

Bank:
2,596.45 Points

Post Posted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:16 pm 
looks like a blast fellas. scott i tried to get them to you before the gathering, as we all know stuff happens. glad you got them a little earlier than expected.

1986 19'6 aquasport-___/\___ 1972 14ft Dargel Scooter-___/\___ 1982 1800 Hydrasports-

Profile Personal album  

Site Admin

Cash on hand:
2,013,645.00 Points

Bank:
48,320,404.30 Points

Post Posted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:35 pm 
Corey I forgot to say, Mary loves that pink one, matches her pink Aquasport shirt, thanks for doing that :1992_beer_cheer:

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
3,055.30 Points

Post Posted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:15 am 
Well guys... It was awesome meeting several of you in person even if Scott had to bail early to head back south. The ride back to Anna Maria to drop off Joey at was a little sporty but was head seas most of the way with the return back to Maximo via the open bay was no better but following so a little smoother. Rested the joints at the Maximo Crab Shack with some Grouper nuggets and a beer before calling it a day.

Tight Lines,

B

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
2,633,261.45 Points

Bank:
9,791,707.00 Points

Post Posted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:37 pm 
We had a good gathering with a little excitement in the beginning and end for us. As some of you may know I'm now an official member of the "Forgot the plug club!" We launched at the Maximo ramp. Which I have to say is now a nice new ramp since the makeover. Amy and I broke our usual routine of launching the boat so I think that is why we forgot the plug. I had launched the boat and had been sitting at the dock for 15-20 minutes (the ramp was slow) goofing around and waiting for Fernando. We start to pull away from the dock when Amy asks "did you put in the plug?" OH CHIT! I flip on both bilge pumps and water starts spewing out from the starboard side of the boat. I pull back up to the ramp. Scramble to find my spare plug and mask.... no mask! So I jump in the water and with my eyes closed I find the drain and start to screw in the plug... Then I DROP IT! OH CRAP! I come up out of the water an Amy asks if I got it in (No puns here guys!) "NO! I DROPPED IT! GIVE ME SOMETHING TO STUFF IN THE HOLE!" "What? Asks Amy" "ANYTHING DANG IT!" She hands me a rag and I stuff it in the garboard drain. I send Amy running to my truck to get the plug and wrench. Meanwhile I'm thinking OK how can I keep from dropping the second plug... Then to my amazement the bilge pumps start sucking air... I think "WOW they caught up! OK Thats good" Amy arrive with the plug... I wrap a zip tightly around it and another zip I made into a loop. I put said loop around my wrist and jump in. This time success!

So we head off to Egmont. Things look good until we clear Bunces pass out into the gulf... 15 knot wind out of tee south east and easy 2-3' or better... Met up with the guys as they were moving around the north end of Egmont from the west side looking for calmer conditions on the east. Nope! We stuck it out for a while but the winds started to pick up. We headed back into Bunce's pass were things were really nice. Enjoyed meeting some new faces and hanging out.

Around 5:15 it was down to just Fernando and I, we were getting ready to leave and go get some dinner when we hear CRASH!
Amy witnesses two jet skis slam into each other about 150-200 yards north east of us near Shell Key. I grab my binoculars to see if anyone was hurt. I saw some of them get back up on the skis and start motoring around. I saw one guy in the water behind one of the skis, but everything looked OK and no one was signaling for help or anything so we went about our business.

A little while later Fernando and then I pull off of the beach. I motor over to Fernando who is idling in the middle of the pass to see what the plans are. Suddenly I hear screams of pain, I think "oh shit!" I turn towards the jet skis and I see some people on a small cuddy trying to help one of the jet skis and some people in the water. I head on over there to see a teenaged kid clinging to the side of the ski screaming when he tries to move. There is another man laying across the back of the ski clearly in severe pain. I grab my VHF and hail the Coast Guard. They responded to me immediately. While talking to the Coast Guard we are trying figure out what we can do to help. All of them are speaking Spanish so I had no idea what they were saying. (I should have called Fernando over) The captain of the small cuddy spoke some English so we could talk to him a bit. He was trying to pull the ski and the people towards Ft Desoto. I stick close by while talking to the Coast Guard on the radio.

A few minutes later I spot a life guard in a mule pull up on the north end of FT Desoto and get out. We start waving hands at him and then head on over and pick him up. We bring him back to the injured skiers and he leaves his gear with me and jumps in to help. The whole time the Coast Guard is asking questions, such as the color of the jet ski, my name, phone number, so on. They ask for my position and this is where I love my GX2100 radio, it always displays my lat lon right on the screen. So I don't have to mess with my GPS, just read off the numbers. Finally help starts to arrive.... FWC, Eckerd College Rescue, more life guards in a commandeered private boat, and finally a St Pete Fire Rescue boat. FWC asks that I stay and of course I had the Life Guards radio and phone on my boat. After all the action I take the life guard back to the beach. He told me the 16 year old kid had a broken leg and the father had chest injuries, possibly a broken sternum or something. I guess my bad Karma from the morning was balanced out with some good Karma at the end of the day.

Now I have to figure out why my bilge pumps did not automatically come on at the ramp.

Here's a few crappy cell phone pics:

1987 170 Osprey Striper

"We do NOT want socialized medicine" - Ronald Reagan

Profile Personal album  

Yoda

Cash on hand:
16,591.45 Points

Bank:
46,928,565.35 Points

Post Posted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:50 pm 
Now THAT is a helluva an ending to a long day!! Well done Bruce!! It sounds like everyone was cool and collected, and hopefully the jet skiers (I'm not going to comment on their competancy) came out OK.

Excellent point about the LAT/LON being displayed directly on the radio's LCD screen. Any DSC equipped radio, as long as there is a GPS to tie into (don't even need a CP, just an antenna), your coordinates are right there in front of you. No going through any menus/screens/pages to find them. I prefer to have my coordinates displayed on the head unit regardless of what type of page I have as my main page...FF, CP, radar, whatever. But some don't.

So if you have a DSC equipped radio, and a GPS source, and they're not interfaced, take the time to do it. :605_thumbs_up: :605_thumbs_up:

My little project...

Profile Personal album  

Classics Expert

Cash on hand:
10,546.20 Points

Post Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:37 pm 
Bruce, guys, great job on the assistance. That's what its all about!!

Bruce....a little birdie from Georgia whispered in my ear about your plug adventure :mrgreen: ...but that's no biggee.....at the scallop fest remind me to tell ya'll of the time I left the driveway towing a boat with a battery charger and 50 feet of drop cord sHa-shakeshout

Profile Personal album  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Jump to: