FIND US ON FACEBOOK     Friends of the ABC     CLUB CHAT ROOM AND LOUNGE     VIEW ACTIVE TOPICS     ABC CLUB STICKERS 

It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:19 pm
Portal » Board index » All the Other Boats

Author
Search for:

Cash on hand:
340.05 Points

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:19 pm 
PLEASE READ BEFORE SCROLLING THROUGH THE PICS to best understand what you are seeing.

I've owned many boats in my life including 3 Wellcraft V-20's. The first 2 were cuddy boats and I loved them, used them then sold them for a new toy. However I recently picked up my first center console V-20 and I believe this is the one I'll hang onto for a while. I basically bought the boat site unseen other than 2 very blurry, very distant pics. I was out of town working, talked to the guy and told him if everything he told me was true then it was sold and I would have someone bring him the money and he give them the title and I would get the boat that weekend as it lived in a boatel and had no trailer.

He told me it was a rock solid hull, new $800 gas tank, with a 2.5 200hp Merc that was a fresh rebuild but something went wrong and it needed rebuilt again. Said it didn't even have an hour of run time on a $2300 rebuild but something was wrong. So I gave him $2K praying she was as solid as he said as so many of these boats look solid but aren't.

The pics he had didn't tell me much other than it was obvious the hull was painted a bright green and it appeared to have blue lettering on the sides. Well this is what she looked like the day I went and got her.

Wow...I know. It in fact was lime green but with many bright purple accents. When we pulled up to the marina they had it on the forklift bringing it out of the rack, my wife instantly shook her head and rolled up the tinted windows to hide her identity. Now I'm not one to bash on someone's style but yes, this thing was loud and it wasn't even running. It was definitely not my style but you know what the guy they call Taz, with his Joe Dirt mullet and bright purple T-shirt rocked the shizz out of his lime green and purple boat.

Once I got past the initial shock and looked past the lipstick I was pleasantly surprised at what I found. Seemed everything he told me about the boat was true. I went through it as good as I could and couldn't find any major issues. It was definitely worth the money I paid for it. Even with a blown up motor, $800 fuel tank and $1500 T-top I felt I couldn't go wrong.

The boat had not only the purple graphics but also purple was the following: T-Top canvas, E-box, front hatch cover, console front seat cushion, gunnel rod boxes, motor cowling as well as all the wood trim on the inside which seems to be stained and cleared a purple tint. This guy invested a lot of time and money on the purple. The motor cowl had probably one of the best paint jobs I've ever seen.

Just in case some are wondering I also wondered and had to ask the guy. What the heck is Taz 812. His response text was "Taz eats everything so 'Taz ate one too'". This guy was out there!! sFun_eyescan

Last edited by Declansdaddy on Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Cash on hand:
340.05 Points

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:35 pm 
So first thing that had to go was as much purple as possible. My long term plans include a new paint job but it's not a priority. I felt that maybe getting the purple off would tone the green down enough to tolerate.

First to go were the decals.

What a difference that made. Next thing I did which is temporary as I'm plan on getting a new E-Box was paint the E-Box white. Then I debated on getting a light gray or white canvas made but ended up getting a great deal on a cored hard top. Then slapped a little Wellcraft swag on the E-box

Luckily a buddy of mine had a spare motor cover laying around he let me borrow until I can get a fresh black coat on mine.

I borrowed the trailer to pick it up from my other boat (2150 Seaswirl Striper) so I needed to find a trailer quick to get them both back on trailers. Picked up a solid single axle trailer for $500 to just get my Striper back off stands.

I really don't like the way the boat loads on the trailer. I actually have a buddy with a tandem axle Calkins trailer he had for his V-20 which unfortunately got sunk at the dock after an abnormal low tide and the boat got hung under the dock. So he doesn't need the trailer any more and is gonna sell it to me for $200 but it needs some work but worth the money.

Last edited by Declansdaddy on Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cash on hand:
340.05 Points

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:58 pm 
So I diagnosed the motor to find 1 cylinder with 90psi compared to the other 5's 125 psi. I bore scoped it and saw some minor scarring on the cylinder walls. My buddy who is a Merc fanatic came over and looked it over and we went ahead and fired her up. Instantly we noticed it was running terribly and also the water pump never started pissing. He got to looking more and found that the overheat alarm wire was disconnected. He had a suspicion this was why it was running bad. He plugged it in and we fired it up and it ran great.

It appeared the water pump went bad and the PO maybe unhooked the wire to get back to the dock without hearing the alarm however it seems that as a safety issue if you unhook the alarm it kills 3 cylinders. So then we figured the guy maybe didn't realize this and thought he blew her up.

After a water pump repair we made the decision to take her out and see what happens. My Merc guy told me he had motors in the past with the same issue(low comp on 1 cylinder) and ran them for years. So we launched her and she ran like a banshee. Hit about 49 mph and still had some throttle left (tach wasn't working)

Seemed all was going to be ok and I felt got the deal of the century, but my big head got deflated last weekend when the problem cylinder melted down. I now got 40 psi on that cylinder and the piston looks a bit messed up. Still not sure if I'm going to rebuild or repower. My local Merc dealer is about 800ft from my driveway so real tempting to get a new 150 4 stroke put on her.

For now I have it back at my fiberglass guy getting some work done on the top and he noticed that around the lower motor bolts on the transom it sounds like there is moisture present. Seems those 2 bolt holes weren't sealed properly. He felt I could get a couple more years out of her if I sealed them up good but then noticed that the transom was raised to accommodate a 25" motor and wasn't done correctly so a full transom rebuild is in order. He's also repairing many small imperfections on the interior and going to reprint all that.

In the meantime I'm racking my brain with what to do about the motor. I have a very highly recommend tech that can rebuild the powerhead for me for around $1800 if the cylinder doesn't need sleeved. I'm really liking that price tag with the great reviews I've heard of about the guy. Also I must of dreamt about it or something but I woke up in the middle of the night with the idea of twin 90's. I know some guys here love their twins. But there's a slim chance that'll happen. I know it's not practical on a 20' boat but it does have some cool factor to it.

Last edited by Declansdaddy on Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cash on hand:
340.05 Points

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:45 pm 
Here's some more pics of things I've done to her. Deleting the purple has definitely made the green more tolerable and it's actually growing on me...the wifey...well not so much. I've gotten many compliments on it already and even a couple offers to over double the money I have in it. Well before the whole motor fiasco. But I think I'll keep trucking along on it and keep her for a while. The boat rides awesome, has plenty of fishing room and nice high sides to contain the kiddos. There's a lot I have in mind to do to the old girl and slowly but surely I'll get there. For now it's just making sure she's solid and reliable.

In the boathouse at my moms marina. Trying to talk them into putting a lift in this slip so I can leave it there and not have to paint the virgin bottom. Only response I've got is the suggestion I pay for the lift. It's tempting.

Front seat cushion. Didn't have a before pic but it was nice and purple.

Gunnel boxes painted. Not as dark as it looks it was just real shady that day.

Ebay front hatch to replace the half rotted plywood purple door. This hatch was actually a bit wider to give me more room to access whatever finds its way in there.

Spent a few hundred bucks on a nice cover. She's spent the last 15 years kept in a rack, last thing I want to do now is leave it outside in the weather constantly. Next on my list of home improvements is a nice tall carport to keep it in.

Last edited by Declansdaddy on Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
2,633,106.40 Points

Bank:
9,791,707.00 Points

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:04 pm 
I like the green

1987 170 Osprey Striper
"We do NOT want socialized medicine" - Ronald Reagan

Cash on hand:
340.05 Points

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:21 am 
wingtime wrote:
I like the green

It's really grown on me. It looks great sitting in the water. Buying a red trailer probably didn't help as those two colors clash a bit but hopefully soon it'll be back on a regular galvy trailer. Sure is a head turner. My wife has admitted she doesn't hate the green now but still wants to repaint it this winter. We'll see.

Cash on hand:
4,369.65 Points

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:54 am 
yeah the green dont look bad with the purple gone. we have a mako in my marina with a carb'd 200hp yamaha, its been running on 5 cylinders for 5 years, had less than 40lbs in one cyl, it finally let go last month which sounds like a rod wanting to let go

1993 Aquasport 210 Explorer(SOLD)
1991 Fountain 31TE

2004 F250 Lariat 4x4 6.0L Powerstroke with a bunch of stuff

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
10,744.25 Points

Bank:
2,596.45 Points

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:41 am 
i like the green as well. but then again im a bit out there myself. im actually wanting to do a lime green boat lol. ive always like the v20s and the 20 fisherman. you defiantly paid the right kind of money for that boat for sure. if it was me i would rebuild that motor regardless if you keep it. believe it or not there is still a bit of demand for those 2.5s as they are still used in the racing circuit. all and all man great boat! keep us posted

1986 19'6 aquasport-___/\___ 1972 14ft Dargel Scooter-___/\___ 1982 1800 Hydrasports-

Profile Personal album  

Cash on hand:
340.05 Points

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:56 pm 
The guy I may have rebuild the motor actually builds Merc Racing motors. He rebuilt a fellow local V-20 owners 2.4 200 7 years ago and it still has perfect compression and his boat will run 55mph all day. It's probably what I'll do for now as dropping 12K on a new 4 stroke just isn't a good idea for me right now. Hopefully I can make something happen soon. Been trying to fish in the Chesapeake in my dads 20' Hurricane deck boat and it isn't much fun at all.

Cash on hand:
340.05 Points

Post Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:55 pm 
Well looks like the powerhead will be coming off this weekend and heading to get rebuilt. I can't wait to open this thing up with the new power on it!!

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
3,555.35 Points

Post Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:18 pm 
Most excellent!!! Tune her up,and run it!!!

88 222 Osprey
00 Yamaha OX66 150

Profile Personal album  

Cash on hand:
340.05 Points

Post Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:59 pm 
Finally got around to getting to work on the boat. Pulled the motor off today. Definitely moisture in the transom as I could dig wet wood out of the holes pretty easily. Took the boat back to the fiberglass guy and he's gonna start on the transom this week. I'll be taking the powerhead to the motor man this week. Hopefully I'll be back on the water in a couple weeks.

And we have detachment

Even under the aluminum plate the transom looks perfect, just seems the holes weren't sealed properly.

Motor just hanging out. Built me a $20 stand to put it on. All treated 2x8's. Solid as a rock but was too dark to get a pic. I'll grab one tomorrow.

Last edited by Declansdaddy on Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cash on hand:
510.75 Points

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:40 am 
are the photos working for anyone? cant see what you posted.

Cash on hand:
340.05 Points

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:20 am 
Better? Last night I made some new albums in my photo bucket and moved my pics around so that much of changed the URL.

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
10,744.25 Points

Bank:
2,596.45 Points

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:25 pm 
pictures are working on this end. so you gonna have the fiberglass guy do the transom in composite material? in all honesty its not much more as far as price and you would never have to worry. something to think about

1986 19'6 aquasport-___/\___ 1972 14ft Dargel Scooter-___/\___ 1982 1800 Hydrasports-

Profile Personal album  

Jump to: