FIND US ON FACEBOOK     Friends of the ABC     CLUB CHAT ROOM AND LOUNGE     VIEW ACTIVE TOPICS     ABC CLUB STICKERS 

It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:15 pm
Portal » Board index » Aquasport Discussion!

Author
Search for:

Cash on hand:
125.00 Points

Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:06 am 
First post on the website but come here often to get information about my recent purchase of a 1995 aquasport 225 osprey. Our current setup is a single 2004 Suzuki DT225 225hp two stroke. The motor seems to be running very strong but we are planning on taking this boat a few miles offshore this upcoming summer. We are looking for options to add a smaller kicker motor to the boat mainly for safety purposes in the case of a main engine failure. Looking for tips on mounting and motor size options from anyone with any experience with adding something like this to their boat. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
2,633,301.50 Points

Bank:
9,791,707.00 Points

Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:11 am 
First off Welcome aboard! You'll find we are a friendly group that loves to talk about our boats and boating activities.... Probably why this site is called a club.

Nice looking boat you have there.

Seeing you have trim tabs I would highly recommend you remove that dolefin thing off the cavitation plate on your motor. The main reason is they are the number one cause of broken anti cavitation plates. The second reason is you don't want a source of lift in the center of the boat. Lifting in the center creates a teeter totter effect making the boat unstable and makes it want to tip side to side while up on a plane. Third reason is you have nice expensive trim tabs. Once you leanr your boats habits you;ll know how to deploy them to help get up on a plane faster, level the boat for a list while on plane due to engine torque and uneven loads, and keep the boat up on a plane at slower speeds.

To answer your original question our fearless leader Scott has a kicker motor on his 225 Explorer. The Explorer is the same hull as your boat only with the walk around cuddy cabin. I'm sure he will chime in soon.

1987 170 Osprey Striper

"We do NOT want socialized medicine" - Ronald Reagan

Profile Personal album  

Site Admin

Cash on hand:
2,013,690.00 Points

Bank:
48,320,404.30 Points

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:24 pm 
Welcome to the Club, great to have you here :1992_beer_cheer:

Couple picks of my setup, any questions just ask

Profile Personal album WWW  

Cash on hand:
125.00 Points

Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:48 am 
Thanks for the info. We have two ports on the transom with rubber flaps on both sides of the main engine that drain just the very rear swim deck area. I can't tell from your pictures if your boat has them also. When we were doing some rough ideas of where we could mount the kicker those seemed to get in the way. Removing one shouldn't be an issue but just curious how you handled that on your setup. Thanks again.

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
2,633,301.50 Points

Bank:
9,791,707.00 Points

Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:38 pm 
Those drains are called scuppers. Sounds like a PO (previous owner) installed some scupper flappers over them. There is no real need for scupper flappers for the splash well (area in front of the motor in swim platform area) so you can just remove those. If you look closely in Scotts photo you can see the scupper drain tube just inboard of the kicker mount (his transducer wires are running thru it)

1987 170 Osprey Striper

"We do NOT want socialized medicine" - Ronald Reagan

Profile Personal album  

Site Admin

Cash on hand:
2,013,690.00 Points

Bank:
48,320,404.30 Points

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:29 pm 
Brian mine is mounted over the top of my HIN # only the last 3-4 #'s show, I can get you some close up pics later if you need them.

This is basically the bracket I have, just not made of stainless, If I were to buy another one this one would be it https://www.westmarine.com/buy/garelick ... cordNum=27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For fuel I have it all running trough a diverter vale, so it comes off the main tank, just move the switch for which motor your running, crappy pic

For steering I lower the big motor just enough for the skeg to be in the water, works like a rudder then steer from the helm, works real well at speed, for slow speed and to adjust the throttle I also have a tiller extension the reaches the cockpit so I just walk back and do what I need to.

There are alot fancier ways to set this up but I just use my kicker as an emergency motor when I run offshore and this setup works well for that, came in 15 miles on the kicker once.

Profile Personal album WWW  

Cash on hand:
125.00 Points

Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:57 pm 
Thanks for the info. Sounds exactly like the setup we are looking for. Something that will get the job done for emergency but not cost us too much to get setup.

Jump to: