FIND US ON FACEBOOK     Friends of the ABC     CLUB CHAT ROOM AND LOUNGE     VIEW ACTIVE TOPICS     ABC CLUB STICKERS 

It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:10 pm
Portal » Board index » Aquasport Discussion!

Author
Search for:

Cash on hand:
120.00 Points

Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:29 am 
I'm looking to buy a 2001 Aquasport 250 Osprey. It has a soft floor all around the CC. I am concerned about why this is and if there is any damage to the hull or stringers? I have tried to find out what the hull is made of and if there is any wood in the hull, but I can't find anything online. Can anyone here help me out? What do you think? Should I run from this boat?
I was verbally quoted at $3000 to $5000 to redo the floor. Thanks

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
2,633,106.40 Points

Bank:
9,791,707.00 Points

Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:35 pm 
The floor is soft due to water intrusion into the deck core thru the mounting screws for the console, T-top, and leaning post. A simple matter of poor maintenance by previous owners. (they didn't reseal the screws over time)

The deck was usually made from end grain balsa wood. I say usually because a member if this board used to build those boats and he said if they ran out of balsa they would use plywood in a pinch. The stringer grid is made of foam filled composite. The transom is a poured ceramic composite. There is some wood in the top of the gunwales

1987 170 Osprey Striper
"We do NOT want socialized medicine" - Ronald Reagan

Cash on hand:
120.00 Points

Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:48 pm 
Thanks very much Bruce. I'm not very knowledgeable with boat and engine jargon. I'm a Real Estate Broker and Certified R.E. Appraiser. I know that well, just not much on boats. What you said sounded good to me? My big concern was what's going on under the deck. People throw out words like Rotten stringers and wood bad transom and all that. Sounds like that most likely is not a problem? I am having a hard time finding a boat surveyor to but a camera in the hull and use some kind of info red to check for moisture. Everyone's busy and can't do it, don't have that equipment, one guy wants "at least $600" for that and everyone never called back. Thanks, Marc

Cash on hand:
120.00 Points

Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:23 pm 
If I can't see in to the hull before my deadline is it worth the risk to go ahead and by it if everything else checks out? I think I'm getting it at a damn good price. Can't find anycomps that would replace it. Thanks, Marc

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
2,633,106.40 Points

Bank:
9,791,707.00 Points

Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:33 pm 
Marc, Were are you located? You might be near a member who can take a look at it for you. Do you have any pics or link to an ad? What kinda power does she have? T-top? Trailer? Does she have any noteworthy accessories such as a windlass? Outriggers? downriggers? Etc?

No worries for rotted stringers or transom on that model boat.

1987 170 Osprey Striper
"We do NOT want socialized medicine" - Ronald Reagan

Cash on hand:
120.00 Points

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:24 am 
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2001- ... -103068113

Cash on hand:
120.00 Points

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:26 am 
Engines look very clean, almost new. No rust anywhere I'm in Sarasota FL

Cash on hand:
120.00 Points

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:56 am 
Don't see how to upload or paste photos in here? Sorry

Site Admin

Cash on hand:
2,013,519.70 Points

Bank:
48,320,404.30 Points

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:02 pm 
Kidmarc69 wrote:
Engines look very clean, almost new. No rust anywhere I'm in Sarasota FL

I'm in Sarasota to If I can help, I was up that way 2 weeks ago and think I saw that boat.

Are you still at his asking price? 2 grand lower would make me alot more comfortable with that boat, including what the floor will cost you that will keep you more in line with what the boat is actually worth.

Profile Personal album WWW  

Cash on hand:
120.00 Points

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:02 pm 
Thanks, Scott!! I have a contract on it since Monday 06/05/17. I think I did real good. I don't want to throw the price out on here for obvious reasons. I'll post it after I pick it up. What did you think of that boat? I'd appreciate some feed back. I had the trailer inspected and they claim there is a lot of work it needs and gave me a crazy, stupid number. Do you know anyone that has great prices on trailer repair? For things like new springs, wheel barrings tires and fixing the boat platform, I think that's what you call it, the boards the hull slides up on. One is bent or leaning? It's nice to meet someone in Sarasota that's in the club. I am assuming you have an Aquasport? What kind?
I am renting a house for September & October in the Florida Keys. Little Torch Key, next to Big Pine Key. 2/2 with pull out coach and another coach, on a canal, ocean side, marina on the way out of the canal with gas, bait & ice. Only 3 minutes from house to open water. I go almost every year for about 7 to 10 days. This year I worked a great deal and have it for 2 months. Looking for new friends to come down and fish and dive. I like diving for lobsters. Anyway. Let me know. Thanks, Marc

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
2,659.95 Points

Bank:
0.00 Points

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:47 pm 
Marc, first off, welcomed to the site. These are really good guys here, (in general).:) There is a place that sells trailer parts and materials on the East Coast. I believe the company is called "Eastern Marine" or "Trailer Parts Superstore"?

I have purchased disc brakes for several trailers from them. Very good service! If you can't look them up, I will have our accountant find a receipt from them.

Just a suggestion, You might have the trailer checked out again, make a list of the needed repairs. Depending on the outcome, it may be too much work to rebuild, Maybe look for a good used trailer?

Good luck with your AS purchase,

Bryan

Found the business, Here is the link for the store, http://www.easternmarine.com/Boat-Trailer-Parts/

Profile Personal album  

Site Admin

Cash on hand:
2,013,519.70 Points

Bank:
48,320,404.30 Points

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:40 pm 
Marc I think with alittle elbow grease you'll have real a nice boat, as far as the trailer I do all my own work on mine so I know where to get parts but this guy has a great reputation for his work http://www.thetrailerworks.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

About me being in the Club, I started it so see you already worked your way to the top :mrgreen:

My boat is the 225 Explorer in my sig below and I go down to the Keys every year myself for the first 10 days of lobster season, and as a Club we try to go after scallops every year.

Profile Personal album WWW  

Cash on hand:
120.00 Points

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:40 pm 
Thanks Bryan V : )

Cash on hand:
120.00 Points

Post Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:13 pm 
So I picked this boat up for $12,650. Has a Garmin 740s GPS and Fish Finder, 7 inch screen. Life jackets, 2 jump seats, out riggers and I discovered I have a water tank with a working shower spray nozzle. I was told that there is a pump and some kind of grinder in the kill box that grinds up scales and fish guts and pumps it out the side of the boat. I saw it pump water out but wonder about this grinder thing. Sounds like someones pulling my leg? Sales guy says both these thing never work on a boat, he's surprised to see them working. Engines have no rust anywhere, ok just a small spot on the mounting bracket but you know what I mean. It is just a little and surface rust. Very good condition. Compression for all 12 cylinders are at 120 PSI. Went on a sea test with a mechanic; sounded great; all gauges worked and light up. All switches worked, Wow!!! Am I dreaming?!!! Is this thing going to blow up now or sink to the bottom of the Gulf? HAha. I was told by my soon to be brother in law that on my twins 2 stroke Mercs 150 engines (2001) the oil pumps would always quit or have a hiccup in heavy seas or banging around and would blow the engines. He thinks that's why I got a good deal on this boat. Anyone know about that? He suggested I disconnect it and mix my own? I would have to make a big conscious effort to learn how to do that and not screw it up. I can get absent minded when I have a million things to focus on, I get nervous/worry. Can't afford to screw that up and can't afford to blow the engines either. I wish sh..t would just work!!! Any thoughts? Thanks, Marc

Cash on hand:
120.00 Points

Post Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:36 pm 
How do I upload or paste photos in here?

Jump to: